Chapter 2 ~ My Boyfriend Shot A Man In Reno

Note: Sorry I haven't updated in a while, guys! I've had unexpected family emergencies this month and haven't had a lot of time to write. But with that being said, I finally got a moment to write another chapter so here it is! :) Also forewarning, there is a racial slur in here that tbh, was hard for me to put in because I'm part Hispanic myself but it needed to be in here for emotional purposes so please know, I don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings! Okay, enjoy the chapter!

I woke up the next morning to shouting and the sounds of loud thuds from outside. Bolting upright in bed, I quickly untangled myself from the sheets that were cocooned around me and slid out. My bare feet hit the cool wood as I padded over to the window before pulling back the thing, gauzy white curtain. Down below, I could see men - more like thugs - moving boxes around and loading furniture and other things into white U-Hauls. I narrowed my eyes as I saw one man come around the side of one of the trucks. His hair was dark and slicked back and he wore a white t-shirt paired with a leather jacket.

My blood boiled at the sight of him and I felt my chest tighten at the painful memory of losing my father and daughter. Negan thought he was in control now - that we all had bowed down before him and this whole town full of people was just his for the taking. He was wrong. He was dead wrong. Suddenly, he swung his beloved barb-wired bat, Lucille, over his shoulder and began to whistle triumphantly as he sauntered after Rick into the house...our house. I cursed under my breath just as he stepped into the threshold.

His brown eyes glanced upwards but before he could see me, I gripped each curtain in my fists and hastily pulled it closed again. That dirt-bag didn't know who he was messing with! With anger-fueled movements, I slipped on a fresh pair of clothes and tugged on my combat boots before racing down the stairs and out the back door. Fresh sunlight greeted me and I hissed at the sudden brightness of it. I guess spending week after week indoors will do that to you. It was time to find Carl - I couldn't stay in this house with that-that monster.

Sneaking my way through the backyards of the houses, I cracked a small smile when I reached the Infirmary. Slipping in the back door, my boots were quite on the linoleum as I came up behind a figure dressed in a blue-and-white plaid long-sleeved t-shirt. Grinning, I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his torso. He let out a sound of surprised before realizing who it was.

"Angel, you finally came out!" he said with a bright smile, turning in my embrace to face me.

His one blue eye sparkled with mischief as he cocked his head to the side, strands of his shaggy, dark auburn hair falling onto his shoulder. I nodded, shrugging as he held me tightly.

"I didn't want to be in there with...well...him," I said, faltering.

He nodded in understanding but I saw his jaw clench just before he released me from his embrace.

"I know. I saw them heading over there. I wanted to warn you but..." he trailed off but I just gave him a one-shouldered shrug in response.

He was about to say something else when suddenly, the door to the Infirmary flew open to reveal two of Negan's men. I felt a snarl rise up in my throat but I bit it back as one of them stepped forward, leering at me. Instinctively, Carl retrieved his handgun from his belt and held it firmly in his hand. The man grinned sadistically as he nodded to the other one. Immediately, they began picking up things to take, pocketing some and throwing other items in duffel bags.

"You can't do that! That's our medicine!" I growled, raising my voice as I managed to wrestle a bottle of pills away from the first man.

He pushed me away from him, snatching it back from my hands as he barked out, "Shut it, burrito-flinger!"

It felt like a slap to my face - those words. And as I glanced up into my boyfriend's face, I saw him snap at the slur.

"That's it!" he snarled, his voice dangerously low.

And just like that, the gun went off.