Spun Upon a Lie (A Short Story)

My nimble fingers caress the newborn's face. Her soft pale skin so pure in the moonlight, her unnaturally silky blonde hair framing her delicate face. I pick the child up into my arms, holding her tightly to me. The soft wind wraps me in a chilly hug as I walk to the open window, preparing to climb out. Forgotten toys and blankets silently reach to the child in the empty crib where she once was.

She won't have to live with these foolish parents.

I, Gothel, shall rid her of her once horrible life and give her one full of love and comfort.

Her mother would neglect her for she is focused upon rapunzel and only rapunzel.

    The next morning, I leave the blonde baby in her crib up in the tower as I venture towards the foolish parents' house. I go to the window where memories were left. I could see the outline of the man and woman, the wife hunched over the crib as the husband embraced her. She was weeping, the flow of rivers down her face. She couldn't help it, she has lost her first newborn who just dissipated into thin air. She faces the fact that she would never see her child again.

I stay at the window for thirty more minutes, not taking my eyes off of the two adults and in that time, the wife's emotions changed drastically. From weeping about her daughter to yelling about rapunzel.

"Give me RAPUNZEL! MARCUS, GO FETCH ME SOME!" Her voice grew octaves until she was screeching for the desired plant.

Turning away from the glass window, I left the two to their own business and went back to the ivy-covered concrete tower where the baby slept peacefully.

Rapunzel... What a beautiful name for a tainted child.

"You shall be named Rapunzel from here on out. Just a sweet little reminder of your parents," I whisper as I bring my fingers delicately down her chubby, pale cheek.

~~18 Year Later~~

A girl with gorgeous blonde hair that drapes around her feet multiple times sits upon a wooden stool combing the ends of her hair, her long, purple gown billowing in the wind.

"Mother?"

"Yes, Rapunzel?" I stand just above the entrance from below and face towards Rapunzel's back, my posture slightly bending over from tiredness.

"Why am I not allowed to go out and explore?" Rapunzel stops brushing her hair and faces towards me.

"It's for your own safety."

Rapunzel glares at me, to which I have a worried look on my face, wondering if Rapunzel is finally putting pieces together and wishing to rebel.

"Mother, I do not believe you. You always keep me locked away... Are you even my real mother?" Her pent-up anger brings tears to her eyes as she stands and looks me straight in the eyes, waiting for a response.

"I- i..." Choked up, I could not let a whole sentence roll off of my tongue.

"Don't lie to me. Be truthful."

I take a deep breath, wishing to not reply and for Rapunzel to drop the subject. When she stands strongly in front of me, waiting for a response, I let the truth spill out unwillingly.

"Rapunzel, don't be mad, I beg of you... But you're not my biological daughter. I didn't want you to find out about your real parents if you went out of the tower and leave me behind."

Rapunzel's eyes burned deep into mine with so much hatred and despair. She did not say anything but I could tell what she was going to do. She picks her hair up, throws it onto the metal hook just above the open window, and jumps down without even looking back.

Tears cascade down my face as I feel an emptiness in my heart.

Screams of despair escape my mouth, my hands clutch onto the fabric located above my aching heart.

I love you so much, Rapunzel...

I was afraid to lose you in the end...

And in the end, I did lose you.