Chapter 1

The rain fell steadily outside and clashes of thunder and lightning lit up through the one small window. The old storage room was dark and damp, after years of dilapidation and ruin. The faint ticking of a clock rang through the halls; the bells tolled midnight. Ding dong, ding dong. Dong ding ding ding.
     This awoke the slumbering Veronica; her eyes opened slowly and reluctantly. She sat up, with a terrible thumping sound pounding like a bass drum in her head. "Good lord," she mumbled, "How long was I out for?" She tried to recall any memory, but each one was fuzzy. There was one, though:
     It was the storage room of the pizzeria, much younger and full of life than it was now. She was sawing off the antlers of a large brown jackaloupe. "This new animatronic will have better use of these things than you, gal." She listened closely as she heard the walking of feet. "Jacob, in here."
     "Oh good. I found you," he smiled nervously, "Uh, Veronica, I have to let you know something. I-" All of a sudden, he was interrupted by an awful screeching noise. "Veronica," he shouted, "It's Max!"
     Veronica scoffed and shook her head, walking towards the animatronic with a wrench. She smacked it upside the head with it, and it immediately stopped. "Now then," she walked back towards Jacob, "Whatcha need?"
    "Well, that's the thing..." he swallowed hard, "I can't do this anymore." Veronica raised an eyebrow as he continued. "I can't risk my life trying to entertain kids, a-and with all these police reports and...the accidents. B-Besides, College has been swamping me with all kinds of projects and homework. I just, um, I—"
     Veronica raised her hand to shut him up, "Jacob, I support your decision. I'd be okay with it—"
     Jacob interrupted, "Oh really? That was easier than I—"
     "SHUT IT," she snapped, "I said I would be okay with it, if we hadn't been through so much. Man, I can't just let you go and risk you going to the police about all this." She presses a red button and the eyes on the rabbit glowed. It stood up, towering over Jacob, whose eyes were wide with fear. It's mouth opened wide; a row of teeth gazing down on him like a hawk on a mouse. "I'm sorry, Jacob. It's all I can do. I hope you forgive me."
     "No, V-Veronica. Please! I-I won't go to the police I promise. No, NO, NO—"
     Her vision went static, and only one final message appeared. "MEMORY ERROR"