Prologue

New story! Woohoo! And if you cry or get mildly feely, that's good. It's what I was going for.

Special thanks to AmorettiElle for reviewing this for me~ Ilysm ; u ;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue: Zack Fair

"I'm getting real tired of this shit, man." A soldier came in through your door and took off his helmet, then shook his head to give his spiked black hair that "natural" messy look. Parts of his face were bloodied and bruised, and he had scratches on his cheeks, forehead, nose, you name it- but his sparkling blue eyes told you that he would be fine with a few bandages and a week's time.

"Really, Zack? Coming in just because of a few scratches on that pretty little face of yours?" You smirked up at him, placing your phone on your desk beside you.

"Aw, [Name], you think my face is pretty?" Zack placed his hand on his heart and gave you a small smile. "No but seriously, these little shits are getting annoying. They just won't stop bleeding!"

"Come on then, you wuss." You laughed a little and pat the seat next to you, then got up and walked over to your bookshelf (you used it for anything but books, oddly enough) and grabbed your medical kit. "But I hope you didn't mean what you said when you barged in," you said while opening the lid of the box and shuffling its contents around to find what you were looking for. "Because if you stopped doing your job, pretty soon I'd be forced to stop doing mine too."

He smirked at you, and then ruffled your hair as he plopped down into the chair. Throwing his head back and sighing dramatically, he tossed his helmet off to the side and gave you an exasperated look. "But do you know what it's like, [Name], to go into that battlefield every single day and know that no matter what happens to you, you can't die?"

You smiled sadly to yourself while soaking a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide. "I think you forget, my dear Zack, that I share the same curse as you. All of the members of this organization, be them soldier or medic, have been genetically enhanced to be immortal. It's a pain, really."

Sighing again, he brought his head back up and folded his arms over his chest. "It's ridiculous, isn't it? Like, we can't even die if all of our limbs have been dismembered. STELLA would probably just give us prosthetics that have been supercharged and designed to be practically indestructible."

"Hm." You nodded as you got up and hovered over his face, soaked cotton balls in hand. Brushing away the few ebony strands of hair that always fell into his face, you began to dab at his wounds to disinfect them and remove the caked up blood. Zack didn't even flinch or look like what you were doing hurt him at least a little bit. He'd been in this line of work for so long and gotten hurt so many times that he just became numb.

You discarded the bloodied cotton balls and unwrapped one of the bandages, your friend's eyes on you the entire time. You noticed this and gave him a small smile, and he laughed.

"What?" You asked, putting the bandage into place and then rubbing it a few times to make sure it adhered correctly. "Don't laugh at me- I'll put poison on your wounds the next time you come in."

This just made him laugh harder. "No, it's just- remember your first year on the job?"

Grabbing another bandage, you pursed your lips. "Not really, why?"

He shook his head slightly, and you snapped at him to stay still. This time he blew his hair out of his face for you, and you placed the last few bandages across the bridge of his nose and right underneath his left eye. "It's just that... You're so calm now. I think if someone came in with a bullet lodged in his chest right this second, you would be able to stay relaxed throughout the entire procedure."