:: Aesthetics One shot

Dedicated to @Cathartics be she's an amazing writer:)

ONE SHOT CONTEST ENTREE FOR AESTHETICS

::::::::::::::::::::

"Zayn, you have grown over the years, you know that?" I question him while continuing to fix his tie.

"Yes mum," he says all too fast, while trying to fix his hair.

"Almost too fast. Seems like just the other day you were ready to go to school. Now look at you, going on the most important date you and Rose will ever have," I tell him. He rolls his eyes, whilst letting out a smile and a small huff.

"And it seems as if it was just the other day, you were scolding me for being an artist," he reminded me. I do agree with him, for all throughout the beginning of his career, I've done nothing but try to get him into something else.

"But, I am glad that you didn't let me get to you," I say, making him aware that my intentions for him were all too wrong.

"I would've never listened to you, mum. I still would've tattooed my heart out whole you scold me left and right," my son scoffs. I follow him down the stairs and watch him as he continues to prepare for this dinner date.

"Excuse me," I say jokingly," please enlighten me on how you, the person who was in my womb for nine months, wouldn't listen to me?"

After my reply, it seems as if he loosened up a bit. You could visually see him relaxing.

"You know I'm only joking," he says his tone suddenly turning serious, "right.'' Turning swiftly around, I meet my son's coffee coloured eyes with my own.

"Of course," I say softly.

"Of course."

In one motion, he pulls his arm in front of him and looks at the numbers displayed on the watch. With that, he jogs back up the stairs, only to quickly come back down.

"Mum, I feel like over these last couple of months, we've became closer than ever," Zayn tells me. He checks his watch another time, before heading towards the door.

"I couldn't agree more. But we should praise Rose for that. Without her, our constant bickering would've gotten worse," I tell him truthfully.

He checks his watch one last time, before I tell him to calm down, and not to be nervous.

"I know mum, I'm just worried that this will all come crashing down around me. Like what if I forget, or she leaves me before I get to ask. Or, what if she says no," he states in a rush, his forehead being adorned with lines full of worry.

With that said, we hear the closing of a car door outside.

"Okay son, she's here are you ready?" I ask him.

"No, I'm nervous as hell," he says while searching for something,"I just really want her to say yes."

"You'll be fine." I reassure him one last time, before hearing the doorbell ring.

Zayn slowly walks towards the door, straightening out his suit while doing so.

He opens the door, and I am greeted by a hello from a little someone named Rose at the door.

I watch in delight, as I see my son tell his beautiful girlfriend how amazing she looks. Their whole loving demeanour envelops the room like a soft blanket.

"Lets get going shall we," Zayn asks Rose.

"Sure whenever you're ready," she softly replies while giving me a confused look. She must've seen my daze at the two. Hopefully she doesn't suspect a thing.

I give her a reassuring smile, and at the same time Zayn is heading towards the door.

"Bye loves," I call after the two, only to get a wave right before a closed door.

I sat there in silence thinking about the future. The past and how it shaped the present. I thought about Rose and how she brought Zayn and I closer together.

With the last thought, the door opensand Zayn comes sprinting through mumbling a forgot and don't know.

I ask him what did he forget, and

he sheepishly told me,"I'm not really sure. I just feel like I am missing something."

He started to head towards the door, before I stopped him.

"She's a keeper, definitely," I told him, even though he already knows.

" I know that's why I-" he cut off his sentence and walks toward the coat closet.

"I know," he says one last time while getting something out of a bag.

I look over my shoulder to see what he's getting, and shocked to see what it is.

"The most important thing and you nearly forget it," I scold him.

He looks down at the small velvet box that is resting in his hand, and looks back up at me with a smug smile.

"The ring," he says.

While putting it in his pocket, he comes over and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"I know mum. I knew at the moment I laid eyes on her in the parlour that I would marry her."he tells me.

I look back up at my love struck son and smile, as he finishes his statement.

"And now I am," he says. And with that he goes out the door. I see the car pull out of the backyard and on to the road.

The whole time, I'm smiling at how my son, will soon be a married man.