NOVEMBER

It was 3:30 in the afternoon at Duke University. 

Students were walking through the campus in light jackets and sweatshirts through the fall weather. Some were heading back to their dorm after a long day of classes. Others gathered with friends to hang out later. Some headed to practice or rehearsal and some headed back into buildings for afternoon and evening classes. Matthew Patrick, however, sat in one of Duke's libraries ramming away at a project he and his partner, Stephanie Cordato, were doing. It was for their Computer Science class and the due date was fast approaching along with the end of the semester. It was Friday and they both only had classes in the morning so they agreed to work all afternoon. It was then that Matthew realized that they have been working 3 hours straight with no breaks. He looked up at Steph who was working just as hard as he was.

"Hey Steph" he said.

"Yeah" She responded without looking up.

"It's been 3 hours maybe we should take a break." he said.

Steph looked at him.

"Okay. But only for a little bit. I want this done by Sunday." she said.

"Okay. But we shouldn't push ourselves to hard." Matthew respond.

"You're right. So what do you want to do?"

"There's a cafe a few blocks away from here if you want to go there."

"Okay" She responded. And with that they closed their laptops, put their notebooks and laptops back in their backpacks, put on their sweatshirts, and left the library.

"So which way do we go?" asked Stephanie. 

She was only a freshmen, while Matt was a sophomore.

"This way." he said making a left and so they walked down the street to the Cafe. Matthew decided to make small talk with her.

"So do you like Duke so far?" he asked.

"Yeah, It's really nice." She responded. They continued to talk the whole way to the cafe. Steph didn't realize it but Matthew had a huge crush on her. They had been mutual friends at first but after getting assigned this project they became very close. Matthew would often make excuses as to why he had to ride the bus to the freshmen campus just so he could be with her. The reason Steph didn't know he had a crush on her was because she thought he was gay.

"Here's the cafe" said Matt. It was a nice, small place called The Bean. They went in and place the orders. One green tea for Steph and one hot chocolate for Matthew. Then they went and sat a table. They continued their talk in the cafe. How their day was, their roommates, what their plans were for thanksgiving, and other things.

"So how does it feel to be 20?" asked Steph. Matthew's birthday was last week.

"Weird, I don't know how I feel about my age not ending with the word teen anymore. I still feel like one." he responded

"You'll get use to it." she said.

"Easy for you to say Miss.19." Matt respond causing Steph to giggle. Then their drinks arrived. They each took a sip before continuing. 

"So what shows are you working on?'' She asked. Matthew was a theatre major.

"A Christmas Carol. If you want you can come see it. We open--" Matthew was then cut off by a loud noise outside that sounded like a big bang coming from down the street. The whole cafe went quite. Matthew looked over Steph as she turned in her seat to see outside.

"What was that?" asked Steph as she turned her head to face Matt.

"I don't know." said Matt. Soon they noticed students outside were running away from something. They couldn't see what they were running from.