Mission

"You have a new mission for tonight," I hear my father say as he enters my room where me and River were talking on my bed

"What now?" I ask, knowing what kind of a mission it is.

"We found the East's leader. Delay him from a meeting with the South."

"What's the meeting about?" River asks, getting up from my bed. I follow his lead, barely believing that it took him just weeks to find the East.

"The South has one of the East, a high ranking informant. The East are prepared to pay a ransom of one million dollars for her, placing them as first bitters and the North as second. The negotiation is taking place tonight and if the East is not attendant, one will be made with the North to hand her over to us."

"Which means we can find the son," I mutter to myself.

"What do you want me to do uncle?" River asks.

"Nothing," my father answers him, shocking both of us.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that Scarlet will do this without you."

"I have to go with her. What if she can't get out?"

"She will figure something out River. Don't worry."

"But we always do all missions together."

"Not this time son."

"But-"

"It's fine River," I say.

"You're leaving at nine," my father says before leaving and shutting the door really hard behind him.

"I'm not letting you go all alone," River tells me. "Especially not when the South, the East and definitely the West will be there at the same time."

"River, calm down," I tell him as I try to listen to my own words. "The East will be too focused on the actual negotiation to think of a seventeen year old horny teenager, the alliance with the South puts me out of their reach, and the chances of the West being there are few specifically because of that alliance."

The alliances formed when things went to shit twenty five years ago. The fact that they've lasted this long without major bloodbaths is surprising. The East and West have always been on good terms, while the North and South always have been looking for any and every opportunity to rip anyone's throat out. Since the four are the most powerful gangs, and since there was an alliance going on between two of them, the North and South had no choice but to sit down at a table, work their shit out, and form an undesired but necessary alliance to be able to fight the East and West, but also maintain the power balances that were jeopardized by other gangs that started growing in the midst of everything. To give a representation I find extremely accurate, we can compré the East and West to Britain and France throughout the whole of history, and the North and South to Nazi Germany and Stalin's Russia; the two dictators are gladly willing to work together to fight the other two, but will take any chance to stab the other ones neck when they want to. Least to say, the explosive alliance between the two surprised many, and, again, that both have survived and even thrived until now..... Damn.