Stranger

"Beloved Bast, Mistress of happiness and bounty, twin of the sun god," Djau said as we, all the priests and priestesses sat in front of the alter in the temple Bastet. "Slay the evil that affects our minds as you slew the serpent Apep. With your graceful stealth anticipate the moves of all who perpetrate cruelties and stay their hands against the children of light. Grant us the joy of song and dance, and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk."

I sat beside Djau, the High Priest, and had, in front of me, a small bowl of milk. Satpe, my friend, had in front of her a plate of freshly cooked meat. "Bastet, our Goddess and Savior, we offer you this crucible of milk to keep you fresh and healthy and this platter of food to nourish you".

As Djau said the words we automatically placed the milk and food on the altar in front of the statue of a huge cat adorned with jewelry and made from the finest of gold, silver, and jewels. We all joined together to say the last few words, then rose and left the inner sanctum and went on with our duties.

As I was the youngest, at only fifteen years of age, I only had to do a few duties that would take only a few hours instead of the whole day.

As I sat in the huge garden that surrounded the temple, with my bare feet in the cool water of the fish pond. I could see my reflection in the glassy water, my long black hair beaded up with precious gems and crystals, my light skin shining in the sun and my pure white dress reflecting the sun with its yoked neckline covered with colored stones, thread and material.

"You know, you're not aloud to be out here by yourself Maya. If Djau sees, you might get into trouble." Satpe said as she walked up slowly holding one of the new kittens popping out of the bag she always wore.

"You know that you're not supposed to bring the new kittens out side until they have been weaned off their mothers and this one hasn't, has it Satpe?"

she smiled and started laughing. "Your right it hasn't and I just thought that you might want some company because Djau said that we could all choose a kitten each to look after and by the time I got there the only one left was this one. Your aloud to name them what ever you like and its one of your favorite colors." I picked up the small kitten from Satpe's bag and put it in the cradle of my arm its gorgeous black fir looked beautiful against the white of my dress. "Thank you, I'll name him Ka-aper"

The hot day went by slowly I played up in my hide out which was up on the roof sitting behind the statue of Bastet. From here I could see the great pyramid being built. And I could also see the Nile River. There was also a market going on in the town just out side of the big gates I could smell all the fresh bread and food being cooked. I climbed down from the roof and went around and sat close to the wall separating me from the world.

"Hello Maya, why I haven't seen you since sunrise what have you been doing all day?" I looked up from petting Ka-aper and saw a rosy cheeked Djau staring down at me.

"Oh Djau you scared me, I haven't been doing anything to get myself into trouble, if that's what you mean, because you only come and talk to me if you are going to tell me off. Am I in trouble?"

he looked startled. "Why no of course not Maya I just wanted to know if one of the other priests had asked you to the celebrations for the feast of our Goddess yet because if no one has would you like to go with me?"

I looked down at my feet and whispered "why would you want to go with me Djau? I'm the youngest and the other priestesses are much prettier than I. But I will go with you, I didn't even think I was aloud to go because of my age but I will go with you."

When I looked up he gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and said "good then I'll see you at your chamber door when the sun sets" then he just walked off.