Chapter 1

"I can do this" I chanted to myself "I can do this." I gripped the porcelain sink, feeling my blood rushing to my head. "Get your shit together Heidi, everyone goes through this." It was the day of the ceremony when everyone who was eighteen found out what element and guide belonged to us. Which was -
I heard the door slowly creek open, I looked up and saw my mothers brown eyes. She had dark circles and it seemed like each passing day they grew just a little more hollow. She stood there for moment and just stared at me, and I swear I saw sadness in her.
"You look so beautiful Heidi" she whispered."He's waiting for you downstairs, come down when your ready. I have something for you." Once she left I began to put the final touches in my dress. I looked in the mirror once more. My auburn eyes stood out against my pale skin and black hair. The white dress was I wore was skin tight since it used to belong to my mother. But it seems I took after my fathers 'big boned' side of the family.
I didn't want to think of him though, not on a day like this.
Before I ended up locking myself in them bathroom I bounded down the stairs as quickly as I could; Ready to face the day that could change my life.

〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️

My lungs burned as my feet pounded against the ground. The sooner I got there the sooner I could get home.
"Heidi, hold on!" I heard behind me "Not everyone has your legs!"
I stopped in my tracks and steadied my breath. I really am good at running, I've been running since I could walk. I turned and saw my best friend Leon catching up to me. When he finally arrived he was heaving; he straightened and pulled a box out of his pocket.
"Your mom wanted me to give you this since since you took off without a word." He rumbled. Leon was also wearing white for the ceremony, it represents out purity. But it looked so different in contrast to his darker skin. He always trained outside with his father to become a warrior
"Thanks" I murmured "I needed to get out of there." I grabbed the box and slowly pried it open, like if it was a bomb about to explode. But once I opened the lid, it took my breath away. It was bracelet with two tear shaped stones, although the stones looked clear they reflected a radiant blue light across my dress and Leon's suit.Behind the bracelet was an old black and white picture of a man I immediately recognized as my father. He never took any pictures; so when he died the little pictures we had were taken down. The memory of him was too painful because of his sudden departure.
My hands trembled as I picked up the picture. when I turned it around it read,
He would have been so proud.
I almost broke right then and there; how could he be proud of me when I was forgetting what he looked like? What kind of daughter does that?
Once my shoulders began to shake I immediately felt Leon's arms wrap around me. He didn't say anything , he just held me as I cried into his chest. I felt him bury his face into my head while he whispered,
"You don't always have to carry all the pain by yourself" He sighed and tightened his arms "That's what you have me for."
My chest tightened at his kind words. I know I worry him all the time. I'm not the type of person to burden others with my trials and tribulations. Even though I have my mother, she's always checked out. The thing is that even when my dad was alive she would walk around as if she had no purpose.
I pulled away from Leon's embrace, wiping away my tears. "So much for not thinking about him today." I murmured
"What?"Leon inquired
"Nothing" I paused "Sorry for crying all over your shirt."
He chuckled, "I'm just glad you don't wear any of the awful stuff on your face."
"Do you mean makeup?"
"Yes!" He exclaimed "It's like a second layer of skin! We grew up with everyone so I don't understand what they are trying to hide. In a small town like this no one cares."
"Leave them alone, women can do what they want to their face."
He laughed and patted my back,"I know I just prefer my women natural. Now let's go before we get our asses chewed out by Eric."