Chapter 1: A Screaming Puddle

Cassandra Melody Redwind. 1:00 p.m. Just waking up. Cass rolled over on her right side and looked at the time. Pathetic, she thought, your anxiety kept you up again. This makes what? "Cassie's Late-night Anxiety Mind" part 78? Tone it down you stupid fucking idiot brain, Jesus fucking Christ. I suppose it's time to go outside on your own time for once this month. Get up, loser. Cassie rolled out of bed, only to fall on the floor, face down, startling the cat awake. She lazily walked over to her full body mirror, inspecting herself like she was going to do one of those before/after pictures. Her long blonde hair refused to stay down in its current state, sticking out much like a massive afro with crazy amounts of static, looking much like an alpaca. Her face was tired and she was so pale, she almost seemed to be one of the living dead. All she could do is sigh and touch the doorknob to get rid of the static as she picked up her detangling brush. This is what I get for sleeping with my hair down. This. This is my own damn fault. Slowly, small sections of hair began to lie much flatter until you could finally distinguish her head from a titanic ass pom-pom. She sighed again as she broke out the eyeliner and eyeshadow, fixing her face a bit. Frankly, as much as she kinda sucked makeup, she knew she needed it so she didn't look like a feral sewer rat. Crap. Forgot my mascara's not in here. She dragged herself to the bathroom, stopping in front of the counter, scanning the cluttered mess like a hawk. She snatched up the mascara and applied it normally, along with some blush. She threw on some simple, practical outfit, put on her favorite sweatshirt, and walked out the door without a shit to give. Same boring old life. Goddamn if only there was something new. The cool air of late-fall was fragrant with the smell of fresh rain, puddles all around the streets.

     "Psst! Cassie!" Cassie stopped and turned around. Nobody was there.

     "Cass! Hey! Hey! Hey Cass! Cassie?" Cassie trudged on.

     "Hey, Redwind! I'm over here." Cassie continued, her blank stare unwavering.

     A puddle began flowing up from the middle of the road. Splash. Cassie stopped in her tracks.

     "CASSANDRA MELODY REDWIND, WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?! LOOK INTO THE GODDAMN PUDDLE YOU JUST STEPPED IN AND TELL ME YOU DON'T SEE ME NOW!"

     Cassie's eyes traveled down the road to her feet, standing in the puddle. Nothing new.

"Hey, um, I know you're doing your job, you're great at it, but you're off duty for right now. Orders from the boss."

Cassie's reflection looked to the right and spoke. "My boss or yours?"

"Both. Go get yourself some coffee or something. You need a break."

Cassie's reflection shrugged and exited the puddle without a fight. Some other reflection girl walks in instead.

"Hey, Cass. I--"

"WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?!"

The other reflection girl sighs. "I was just getting to that, if you don't interrupt or ignore me every 5 seconds, like goddamn, man the fuck was that for? Anyway, I'm Ida. I was the one calling your name, but you don't fucking listen, do you? I'm not replacing your reflection, but I'm here to do something else: be your friend and a guide."

"Cool. You obviously already know me somehow, so let's skip the introductions, and cut to the chase. Why are you really here?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"You heard me Ida, why are you really here? You blew your own cover with the friend thing."

"Alright, you got me there. It's kinda my job to be here, and you were my next assignment, soooooo..."

"Really? If I were you, Ida quit my job a looooooooooooooong time ago."

Ida facepalms with disgust. "Jesus fuckin christ, no wonder you have no friends. Welp, anyway, I'm stuck here with you, so let's go. Go back home."

"But I just-"

"GO BACK INSIDE, CASS! WHY ARE YOU EVEN TRYING TO BE OUT HERE RIGHT NOW? Ugh. I'll see you in your mirror."

Cass sighs, walking home.