Chapter 1: Draco

Draco had always known that he had a soulmate. Everyone has one, of course, muggles and magical creatures included. Most magical children are born with their soulmate's name already marked into their skin. Draco, however, was not born with his soulmates name on his wrist. His father worried that it meant the end of the Malfoy legacy. Or worse, that Draco was a squib.

It took six healers and even a foreign ambassador of unique medicines before Lucius would believe that Draco was not actually a squib. It was advised that the mark would appear later on in his life.

At first, he wondered why everyone else seemed to look at him with pity. It wasn't his fault that the name hadn't shown up yet. It didn't bother him that it wasn't there. He knew that he would one day get his mark too.

When he was four, it was announced in the Daily Prophet that the heir of the Malfoy family still hadn't received a soulmate. Which was the longest any wizard child had gone without a mark in over two centuries.

Whispers aren't as quiet as some believe. Draco heard other kids his age teasing him for being unlovable. That's what they all told him. He didn't have a mark because no one was made to love him.

...but that wasn't true. Draco knew that there was someone out there for him. He knew there was. There just had to be, right?

---------------

"Maybe we should find an eligible pureblood who has lost their soulmate. That way, it doesn't matter if Draco gets a soulmate or not."

Draco froze in the hallway at his father's words. No. They couldn't do this! He did have a soulmate, he did! He bit his lip as he looked down at his arms, where there was supposed to be someone's name.

"If he gets a soulmate after a contract is made, the soulmate can fight the marriage in court." His mother pointed out, with little emotion. As if they weren't discussing Draco's entire future.

"If being the operative word." Lucius drawled. "I won't sign anything, but I will begin a search."

That was enough for Draco. He walked quietly and quickly out of the hallway before he made a run for his bedroom. He closed the door silently before he grabbed his duvet and burrowed underneath his bed.

There was a feeling of being protected down there. No one could harm him if they couldn't find him. Draco decided that he wasn't going to come out until he got his soulmate mark.

It wasn't too long before the rumbling of his stomach let him know that it was getting close to dinner, but Draco wasn't going to do it. He wasn't going to cave. Strength and inner will is required if one wants to succeed in life. So, he knew that he could do this.

*Pop*

"Master Draco," Dobby squeaked out in confusion, "Dinner is prepared."

Draco held his breath, knowing that the elf would hear him if he breathed. If he could hide from Dobby, then he could definitely hide from his father.

When the comforter was lifted up and Draco looked up into giant curious eyes, he let out his breath in disappointment.

"Is Master Draco... alright?"

Draco shook his head rapidly. "No, Dobby. Father wants to marry me off because he thinks I won't ever get a soulmate!"

A tiny sigh escaped Dobby as he crawled underneath the bed and peered at Draco intently. "Soulmates can't be rushed or hurried. Yours will come in due time."

That had Draco looking down at his palms. "I know," he sniffled. It was true. He did know this. Something in his gut told him that he would get his mark one day. He just wished that it was sooner rather than later.