Zayden

I sit with my arms crossed, looking bored down at my feet as I sit in the plastic red chair. Peoples thoughts are sliding in and out of my mind. I listen, as usual, but today most thoughts are the same. This is so exciting, I hope I do okay, did I remember everything, I feel adult now. ect. ect. You get the gist. People are generally excited to start college. Not me. I'm at orientation for it and already bored out of my mind. College is going to be just like high school, just like middle school, only harder, and farther away from home. I sigh and slink farther down in my chair. 

I've been able to read minds since I was about five years old. I never bothered to tell anyone. I didn't think it was important. So now for 13 years, I've listened silently, learning the troubles and happiness of strangers and peers. At first it was cool. You know, a new adventure, something fun. But now it's just as dull and uninteresting as anything else in my life.  I sigh, and start to tune out of mindstream to pay attention to what's actually happening. But then I hear it. God, why is everyone so excited? It's just more school. These people need to calm down. All this excited thinking is wearing me out just hearing it! Comes the thought. I bolt upright in my chair. Excited thinking is wearing me down? Was someone else in here a mind reader? I shake it off for a moment. It was probably a mistake. Of course there weren't other mind readers. That would be idiotic for me to even think that. I would have come across one by now. 

I settle back down, but then the voice comes again. You'd think being a mind reader is fun, but nooooo. thinks the voice.

The fuck.