Challenging the Alpha Male

Ever since our male pack-leader, Blade—a heavily built wolf with a red-tinted gray pelt—defeated and exiled our former Alpha male, Zane, life has been pretty rough on everyone; even me, Rona. In my lifetime, I've never met a more arrogant wolf. When it comes to eating, he invariably eats enough prey for two shares which has given him a notoriety he enjoys. Blade often leads groups to hunt prey for the pack. If it weren't for the troop and me, the pack would've starved to death. His catches are always so small and bony, it's like he aims for the worst looking animal. There was this one time where my friend Convel and I worked together to snatch a colony of rabbits. In the corner of my eye, I detected a large, red-grey blur wiz by. I turn to see Blade chasing a brown, scrawny squirrel. In a flash, he swiped the creature's back legs with an extended claw. The tiny animal tumbled head over heels straight into a tree. Swiftly, Alpha picked up the dazed critter in his jaws and snapped its neck with a jerk of his head. With the boney squirrel dangling in his mouth, he thought his catch was laudable when it couldn't even feed a wolf cub. He held his head and tail up high and he smirked his signature smile that irritates me. I don't think I'll ever understand what goes through that moron's head.

The only thing I like about Alpha is his Alpha female, Luna, who I find quite intriguing. Her glossy pelt radiates a beautiful, snowy white color and her eyes are an icy blue. She was the Alpha female when Zane was the Alpha male. I knew she had feelings for him, but the young female is so loyal to her pack she chose to stay instead of going with her love interest. Luna was depressed for a week. She didn't eat and would've died if it weren't for my persuasion. After her sorrowful state passed, Luna thanked me and we've become great friends. If Blade ever harms her in any way, I'll pulverize him. That leads to my other problem...

I know so many wolves are harmed and Blade his a terrible leader. His leadership often convinces me to challenge him. Ever since the conception burrowed into my skull and created a den, it makes it impossible not to think of. There is a possibility that I may lose this fight. I've seen Blade fight Zane—who was a large, black, muscular wolf that anyone would have trouble defeating—with ease and it is probably the only thing he's good at. I can tell my mother, Ylva, wants me to think of the ramifications in case I get crushed. I may have to think of contingencies in case I lose this fight, though I am confident I can beat him. Today is the day I challenge him.

* * *

Warm, summer rays of light glistened on my pelt as I stretched my muscles and shook off my brown and gray pelt. I padded out of my den and observed my surroundings. Outside, pack-members lazily sprawled out in the sun and dozed quietly. I glanced toward Alpha's cave where he laid next to Luna. A tinge of jealousy stabbed into my gut like a thorn. He attempted to lay his head on her back but she sprang to her feet and gave him a warning snarl. A smile crept across my face, knowing that no romance would ever sprout between those two.

With a deep breath, I confidently strode toward my leaders. I knew that in order to get Blade's attention I would have to act dominant so I raised my tail and head and continued to strut over to him. In my peripheral vision, I could sense a few of my packmates stare at me. Their gazes burned in my skin but I continued to take strides. Once I was only a few feet away, a muzzle prodded me. I glanced over my shoulder to see my mother with worried, green eyes. She let out a low whimper, begging me not to do this. I grinned thoughtfully and gave her a reassuring nuzzle. With that, I raised my head and tail again and took the last few strides until I stood in front of the leaders. Luna stared at me in surprise but I ignored her and glared into Blade's eyes with cold, brown ones. I revealed my fangs and snarled deep in my throat.

Based on their yips and whines, I could tell my pack-mates thought my ambitious acts were shocking. My gaze remained glued to the large red-gray wolf. The way his wide, yellow eyes stared blankly into mine and his head tilted to the side made his next move incalculable. The Alpha male lifted himself onto his large paws and stood his full height. He was the same height as me, only a bit more muscular. We stared eye to eye. As soon as he did his mocking smirk, I attacked. I rammed into him like a buffalo and Blade barked in surprise. My jaws clamped onto the scruff on the back of his neck and he let out a painful howl. In a heartbeat, Alpha twisted around and returned the favor with a firm bite to my scruff. He forced me down with his full body weight. I could tell he was trying to end the fight, but I wouldn't give up. I rolled out from under him and he hit the ground with a thump. With a quick spin around, I launched onto Blade and snapped at his revealed belly. He cried out, blood pooling from his abdomen gashes and he became too weak to fight back. The leader laid there, gasping with his tongue lolled out and ego bruised. I rolled him over onto his belly and gave a quick bite on the back of the neck; symbolizing his defeat. Beaten and bleeding from deep wounds, our lethargic Former-Alpha dragged himself into the trees, never to be seen again.

I stood there, astounded that I actually beat Blade. Again, I felt a muzzle tap my shoulder. This time, Luna stood there. She gave me a grateful nudge and sat next to me with an obliging smile. I returned a quick simper then inhaled a deep breath into my lungs. With my nose pointed to the sunny sky and my eyes shut tightly, I sang a victory howl. Beside me, Luna joined in, which kind of startled me. Then more and more of my packmates joined in. During our beautiful song, my new pack joined together as one, completing the incarnation. At that moment, I knew I am now living up to my name.

Rona- "mighty power" in Scandinavian.

THE END