candy sunset

"you didn't buy milk."

jungkook's head emerged sharply from his fort of pillows, exhaustion and shock evident on his face. jin looked at him for a little bit before raising his eyebrow.

"fine. i'll be back in twenty."

"in twenty or at twenty?" jin yelled as jungkook ran down the hallway. "jungkook! brat!"

he was used to running to the store - jin wouldn't let him 'stock' the fridge so if he wanted a snack, he'd have to go buy it as he wished - so he knew he'd be back in exactly twenty.

the problem lied in his reluctant heart.

he didn't know his name, the boy he always saw in the gardens. he was perhaps a head shorter than him, but his eyes looked aged and almost wise. his hair was always dyed some brilliant shade that eventually faded into the white underneath and his hands were always entangled in the brittle strands, clutching the hairs in fear.

19:00.

he saw him. caught a flash of his now platinum white hair. the fading sun had illuminated it and reflected on it the pinks and oranges of the sunset. he had paused, the dark colour of his eyes glittering.

he was waiting.

jungkook shook his head and continued down the street, turning the corner. he promised to be back in twenty and this time, he was going to keep his word.

19:30.

jungkook swore under his breath. the line at the cashier was stupidly long and he began to wonder if jin would come storming up to the shop in anger to yell at him. alas, it wasn't jungkook's fault; the candy aisle was full of sugary, deadly sirens with twizzlers for arms and two large jawbreakers for eyes.

his watch read 19:31.

would the boy still be at the park? and if so, jungkook thought, does he like candy?

19:40.

as expected, he was still there, waiting. jungkook gripped the plastic bag a little tighter, becoming hyper-aware of the sweat forming in his hands and the difficult pounding of his heart because, quite simply, he was just going to offer a stranger a box of twizzlers (unopened and safe, of course). it wasn't like he was going to propose.

yeah, why would that thought even enter his head? he was just nervous. nothing more. (frantic edgar allen poe movements).

"excuse me?"

the tears were quickly wiped away from his reddened cheeks as he turned to face jungkook who stood still, frozen.

he'd always thought the boy had some melancholy aura about him but nothing this... serious. he watched dumbfounded and the boy tried to force a smile.

"um," and there he went, tongue-tied in the face of strangers. "i've always seen you sit here because i go to the college across from this park." he paused, hands turning cold around the box of twizzlers. "i was wondering if you liked candy?"

the boy smiled a real smile, eyes crinkling around the edges as he gracefully accepted the box. "i do. please, sit."

jungkook bit his lip, glancing at his watch.

19:45.

"sure."

they sat a fair distance apart, too comfortable for strangers but nothing odd. yoongi put a twizzler in his mouth and chewed on it lightly while jungkook stared out at the sunset.

"i stay here because of the sunsets mostly if that's what you're wondering."

"that's half-truth."

"oh?"

jungkook nervously touched his watch. "i don't really know what the other half of the truth is yet, honestly. but i do know i wonder about you."

"well, when you find out what it is, tell me. you know where to find me."

19:50

a hurried exchange of numbers and saddened smiles marked the end of their meeting.

"you better hurry home," yoongi said.

jungkook took off in the direction of his dorm, swearing obscenities under his breath. what was he thinking? he was already running late and then he decided to sit with a complete stranger for some merry conversation? jin was going to kill him. excoriate him and defenestrate him.

20:00

"you're an idiot."

"huh?"

jin yanked the plastic bag from his grip, emptying its contents on the counter and sighing. jungkook bit his lip in nervousness, waiting for the lecture or, if he was lucky, a tiny slap on the face but nothing came, only another sigh.

"why are you always like this?"

jungkook frowned. "what? late?"

"yeah."

jungkook mumbled something uncertain, planting into his bed face-first and falling asleep immediately. jin muttered a profanity, placing the milk in the fridge silently as to not wake jungkook up. he'd ask him about what happened later.

17:00

at exactly five, jungkook sat on the bench with a packet of jawbreakers, waiting patiently for yoongi to show up.

he thought jawbreakers would be a little flash of variety and he'd never seen strawberry ones before. for some reason he liked to think that yoongi liked strawberries so he picked them up in a blushing fury, trying to get away from prying thoughts as soon as possible.

17:05.

yoongi was just exiting the supermarket with a little milk carton in his hands. it was pale yellow and - you guessed it - had the artificial ambrosia of fucking banana milk inside.

he was sweating up a storm as he left because, well, what if jungkook wasn't there today? he said he was a college student so he was most probably busy writing essays or - at the very least - stressing about writing one.

and yet, there he sat, using a packet of jawbreakers to make a beat for the song he was singing.

yoongi smiled a little, jogging up to take the seat next to him.

"that's a cute tune. you like music?

jungkook blushed, handing him the box of jawbreakers. "yeah but i can never take it as seriously as i want to," he said, pushing a thumb in the general direction of his school. "that's why."

yoongi frowned. "you can come by my studio some time. i'll see what i can do."

"really? you mean that?"

"of course." yoongi replied, breaking into a smile that showed his gums.

17:20.

jungkook was back home by now, sipping the banana milk that yoongi bought for him. perhaps it was some sort of placebo effect but he could've sworn it tasted sweeter. jin poked his head out from the kitchen, carefully not to alert jungkook.

"if i've ever seen it, that's love," he muttered to himself.

jungkook had heard him and suddenly, he knew the other half of the truth.

-

a/n: 

1. the song above: that's daithi de nogla! the song is called unloved, loving and it's supposed the song jungkook is singing when he shaking that packet of jawbreakers.

2. i'll be busy with family and christmas stuff for the next few days so i thought i'd power something out while i could.

3. please bring any errors to my attention because i will die and delete this if i try to proofread. and i uninstalled grammarly cuz she's a hoe.

4. jesus christ how can y'all support a flaky bitch like me (thank you so much either way).