Syphon

"I'm telling you Emily, I saw him cuddling with Yara!" I deflected her claim as I continued to munch on my overly burnt fries. I knew in the back of my mind that Maddie was still talking to me but I drowned out her words. I have 10 minutes of my break left, I'm not going to spend them listening to my coworker giving me information I already know. I've known for a while. If it wasn't the quick glances or them becoming best friends, I would've known the minute he left his Snapchat open on my phone. But I already knew by then. It's not that I'm pretending it's not happening. I'm just waiting for him to tell me himself. I was about to tell Maddie to be quiet but Yara walked in and She shut herself up.

I work at the bowling alley on Main Street, specifically in the kitchen. Between the laser tag, mini golf, bowling, kitchen and arcade there are always 15 employees working at a time. Everyone knows everyone. Because everyone knows everyone, all the lives of our coworkers are drama and the new gossip to our high school workforce.  The topic this week? My love life with Cameron Nielsen. I have been dating Nielsen since August when he got hired to work in the kitchen with me. We are the it couple you could say, but thats only because our supervisor Yara and our manager Brady ended a month ago. He cheated on her after they were together for 4 years. How do I know this isn't a rumor? Well before Yara was ever a supervisor she worked with me in kitchen for a couple months. We've been best friends since the day she and I discovered bbq sauce on pizza. But ever since the breakup she's been depressed and lonely. I've been trying to hang out with her but I'm always super busy with Dance. She also goes to a different school then me, she goes to Central and I go to East.

"Earth to Emily!" Maddie slapped my arm and  pulled me out of my deep thought, I looked at her in annoyance. "I asked if you are going to the party tonight?" She gave me a sassy look.

"Oh, ya sure, what time is it at?" Let me explain this party. Every year before rugby season starts, the South rugby coach throws a giant party in his mansion he calls a house. All schools are invited, its more of a kickoff than anything. All the players end up playing in the backyard while everybody else watches. Its basically a scrimmage with free food. Last year West High took the state title, in this city that title is everything. Rugby is more important than football. Everybody is going to be at the party. See East and Central used to be the same school, but it was overcapacity so Central was built in town where the old Walmart was. The schools split and the rivalry in any school activity has been horrible since. Tonight was the first night ever that the players from both schools would be allowed to play each other, with police supervision only. Even with the police force fights are going to break out which is why I didn't want to go.

"7, like normal. You should bring Nielsen, show everyone that the rivalry between schools is petty. Also the Romeo and Juliet situation is super cute!" Oh did I forget to mention? Not only does Yara go to central but so does my boyfriend Nielsen. Its great, especially when you try to bring him lunch and you have to hide your car and belongings because your afraid of it being damaged when you come back.

Before I could respond Nielsen walked in the door to clock on break. "Nielsen, are you going to the party with Emily?" Of course Maddie would ask him.

"Geesh Maddie, I can ask him myself." I walked over to him and kissed him on the cheek. He turned and kissed me before responding.

"I'll go only if Emily goes, but I've never watched a rugby game so I need someone to explain it to me."  He said staring in my eyes. He grabbed my hand and we both sat on the couch.

"YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN RUGBY?! WHERE ARE YOU FROM?!" Maddie screams at him from across the room. I feel him tense up next to me.

"All over? This is the first place I've been where football wasn't the most important thing." He pulled me in to his chest and I grinned. The unease gripping in my chest.