Girls Like Girls

A/N: I wrote this for my own gay needs because tbh Kate is my gf  lol. No specific pronouns or sexualities are mentioned. This is also  like, my first reader-insert piece. I hope I did decent. I like how it  turned out. There's alcohol consumption (teenage partying) and a slur in  here, be warned. And the title comes from Hayley Kiyoko's Girls Like  Girls, because I was listening to that as I wrote this. Anyway, enjoy!                                  

You met Kate about a year before. At  first, you didn't think much about her, but you did like her. You  thought she was the cutest thing you ever saw, but you didn't realize  you had a crush on her until a few months later, when Dana had pointed  it out. You had kept your sexuality a secret from others for only God  knew how long, however. No one knew that you were not straight. Well, at  least that's what you thought.

"No I don't!" You sputtered, turning red. Dana only gave you a look.

"You're a horrible liar, [Y/N]. I think it's sweet, and Kate is sweet too," Dana went on.

"I  don't think she'll like me back like that," you say in a rather  saddening tone. You knew Kate, but not as well as you hoped. You did  talk to her quite frequently, and you knew she was tied deep into her  religious faith. You weren't sure how she would feel if....well, you know.  You just knew that if your own family knew about you, you would  probably be dead.

Dana gave her a sympathetic look. Dana was one of your friends, and one of the nicer people at Blackwell.

"Well,  you'll never know unless you try," Dana said. You snort into your  drink. You knew she was right, but even if you had the courage, you had  no idea where to begin.

"Yeah, right."

* * *

You did follow Dana's advice, though. Kind of. Not really.

You  started out small. You got to know Kate a little bit better. You hung  out with her more. The two of you would walk to class together and  hangout outside of school. You were still right about Kate: she was the  sweetest, kindest girl you ever met. There was no way she would like you  like you wanted her too. It pained you to think about, but you really  did not want to open that can of worms.

Some of the students of Blackwell, however, thought different.

As  far as you knew, only Dana knew. There was a good chance that Juliet  may know as well, but you doubted it. Some of your fellow peers may  know, but you had no idea. You knew that Victoria Chase had an idea,  however. You wanted to scream just thinking about it. Victoria was a  piece of work, much like her friend Nathan.

Victoria and her  cronies were never nice to what could be dubbed as "the outer rim" of  students. As in: she was cool with her Vortex friends, but everyone else  deemed as "loser" should watch their back. That included Kate Marsh.

You  tried to protect Kate as much as you could. If you couldn't, you would  instead try to soothe her. You found your bond becoming stronger this  way. Your connection felt stronger, and your feelings were practically  trying to burst out of your chest at this point. God, Kate was so  cute. You wish you could hold her hand, take her out, and kiss her, but  you just couldn't. It was too conflicting for too many reasons, and you  hated it. God, did you hate it.

Victoria seemed to know  about your little crush on Kate, however. She and her two shadows would  call you names and taunt you more than the usual if your paths crossed,  and they would purposefully bully Kate even more. That made your blood  boil, and you swore that you would go fist city if someone tried to  physically harm Kate.