Bella's Dress

The rain came down quite heavy that night. Bella's view, very clear, as she counted each rain drop that trickled down the window. Bella sat propped up on her bed, blankets clutched to her shoulders. It was another one of those nights again. Another angry set of words being spat between her parents, in the room right behind her headboard. Sleep wouldn't take over her until the anger died down, and her parents along with it.

The morning after was always strange. Bella sat at the table eating her favorite bowl of cereal, as she watched her parents act as if the night before never happened. They always put on that happy couple role whenever she was around. The kisses to the forehead her father Frank, would give her mother, as she sat at the table with her daily cup of coffee. And that fake, yet almost believable smile her mother Beatrice, would reveal right after. They never broke character when Bella was in near site. Yet, she knew more than they knew she did.

Although Bella appreciated the shield her parents held in keeping her protected from all the things they've had to do, she was getting older and was putting two and two together, while the two, had no clue. So she was left to wonder.. When will they reveal the true?

Was she putting on an act too? I mean, she could have been busted through their bedroom door screaming "Stop it mommy! Stop it daddy!" Maybe then they would let her in on who they really were. But Bella sat at that kitchen table and smiled at her parents like she was the happiest child in the world, and her parents were perfect. And they were, outside of closed doors.

~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was Bella's 11th birthday, and she already knew how the day was going to be planned out. she would go to her mother's beautiful beauty boutique on Bodega Ave, where Beatrice would finally reveal the lavender dress her french stylist Noela, has been working on for Bella for a couple months.

Noela was Bella's favorite. She lived and breathed Fashion. Her different styles around the boutique lured in different faces on a daily, not to mention the stand out outfits she showed up in everyday.

Noela was a matured 25 year old widow. She was married off only at the young age of 16, and her husband at the time being 50. She was never ashamed of telling her story because as she would say, it molded her into the person she was today. She inspired Bella.

"Joyeux anniversaire mon amour!"

Bella was greeted by an excited Noela once she entered the boutique. Bringing her into a warm embrace, Bella could smell the fresh scent of vanilla lingering from her. It was Noela's signature scent. She then looked down at Bella, in hopes that she would have remembered the response to her Happy Birthday in French. Luckily, she did.

"Pourquoi merci"

Bella said, followed by a curtsy. Noela smiled, then grabbed Bella's hand and lead her to the back.

There stood Bella's dress, stealing all the attention in the room. Like a magnet, she was drawn to it. Bella slid her hand down the front, feeling the soft material. It was perfect. She couldn't wait to put it on.

"You like?" Noela asked with a wide smile.

"I love! When can I put it on?" Bella asked, with excitement. It was just too beautiful to still be hanging on the mannequin.