Chapter 10 ~ I Am One of You

I couldn't sleep that night. Maybe it was because it was getting colder outside and their wasn't a lot of heat in the house. Or maybe it was just the simple fact that two of our people had just been killed. I bit my lip in thought as I trudged down the hallway, my slippers scuffing against the wood linoleum. I hadn't known either of them that well and Spencer had always been a creep. But still...no one deserved to die like that.

Not anyone. Suddenly, from behind one of the doors, I could just hear Carl's faint snoring. A soft snicker burst free from my lips and I shook my head. That boy could sleep through anything. But unfortunately, I couldn't. So that left me to aimlessly wander the house till sleep finally found me.

Sighing, I let my feet guide me to the kitchen. I was just about to make me a snack when I heard voices down below in the basement. I really shouldn't eavesdrop though - it's not polite. Chewing the inside of my cheek in thought, I shrugged. Oh, well. When had I ever really done the polite thing anyway? Being as quiet as possible in my squeaky slippers, I made my way down the steps that led to the basement.

It was pitch-black down here. I could barely see two feet in front of me. If it hadn't been for the moonlight streaming through the small windows, I probably would have tripped. The voices were becoming clearer now the closer I got and I finally made out the voice of Michonne. Hiding behind the wall so as not to be spotted, I stilled my breathing.

"We're still alive, Rick. So much has happened, so much that we shouldn't have lived through. And in spite of it or maybe because of it, we did. We're still here, the two of us. We're still standing, and we're gonna keep standing," she was telling him, her voice soft but strong.

My tongue darted out over my dry, cracked lips as she continued.

"So, what do we do with that? How do we make that mean something? We're the ones who get things done. You said that. We're the ones who live... That's why we have to fight - not for us, but for Judith, for Carl, for Angel and her baby, for Alexandria, for the Hilltop - for all of us. We can fight them, Rick. We can find a way to beat them. We can do this..." she went on, pressing her point.

Hot tears brimmed in my eyes at the mention of my name and I felt my heart swell. I was a part of the group now? I was...I am one of them. With sudden clarity - at just those simple words out of Michonne's mouth - I realized something. I was no longer the "Wolf girl", no longer the outsider in Alexandria. They really thought of me as one of them.

And I am, I truly am. A few tears escaped my eyes, trickling down my cheeks like raindrops as I peeked my head back inside just in time to see Rick kiss Michonne. A slow smile made its way onto my face and I couldn't help but feel happy for the two of them. The world was messed up and maybe that would never change but...but they still had each other. And...and I still had Carl. This life wasn't what I'd expected or even what I'd chose but somehow it had found me.

And I was so lucky for it. Swallowing the thick lump of emotion that had formed in my throat, I made my way quietly back up the stairs and up to my room across from Carl's. But not before peeking my head into his room once. He was asleep - his worn Sheriff's hat lying on top of his nightstand as he slumbered. I smiled, feeling happier than I had in a long time. I didn't have my baby and it left a hole in my heart for it but...but I would get her back.

I would see her again some day. And for now, I still had Carl. Thank goodness I still had Carl.