Chapter 11 ~ Dixon Reunion

Note: This was my absolute FAVORITE chapter to write so far for this book! Hope y'all like it! ^_^

Crisp autumn air blew into my face and I hissed at the unwelcome coolness of it, pulling my jacket around me tighter. I'd always hated the cold - ever since I was a kid. Mom had always told me it was my Latina blood coming out. I smiled sadly at the memory. Gosh, I missed her. But at least I still have dad, I reminded myself.

Or had him... As far as I knew, he was still imprisoned by Negan. I shuddered at the thought as I followed behind Rick and the others on our trek to the Hilltop. I'm sure they'd been torturing him this whole time - it made me feel physically sick to even contemplate the idea of that. From beside me, I felt Carl's presence and it brought me back to reality.

"You okay?" he whispered in my ear softly.

Slowly, I nodded, pushing a strand of dark brown hair behind my ear, "Yeah, just thinking,"

He was silent a moment - the only sound to be heard, the trudging of our boots before he spoke.

"About Daryl?" he asked me quietly.

Nodding once in response, I pushed past him to walk alongside Michonne. I sent her a slight smile when she looked my way and she gratefully returned it. I admit, when I'd first formed a crush on Rick and he'd rejected me - I had hated her. More than anyone. But thanks to Carl and of course, time, I'd moved past that. And through that, I'd found that Michonne was a much better person that I'd initially given her credit for.

We walked for a few minutes more before Michonne spoke up, "We made it."

My head snapped up to see what she was talking about and sure enough, we had arrived. Tall, wooden posts that made up a wall around the small community towered up before us, casting shadows on the ground. I bit my lip as shouts came from above and slowly, the gate began to creak open. The tiny town came into view then - the imposing, brick, red-and-white plantation-like home surrounded by smaller trailers alongside quaint little gardens filled with fresh fruits and veggies. It reminded me a lot of Alexandria - just on a much smaller scale. The first face to greet us was a familiar one that I welcome wholeheartedly.

As soon as we stepped foot inside, Maggie walked up and gathered Rick into a tight hug before doing the same to me. I smiled into her shoulder, the softness of her cotton t-shirt brushing against my cheek.

"You alright?" I asked her softly and she nodded as I pulled away to face her.

"I am. What about you? Are you okay?" she questioned, her blue eyes filled with concern.

"I'm okay. And...and the baby's okay - all of us," I reassured her, choosing to leave out the fact that Negan now possessed my child.

That was a story for a different time. I didn't want to ruin the big reunion for us all.

"You were right. Right from the start. You told us to get ready to fight. I didn't listen, and I couldn't. I can now," Rick told her, coming to stand in front of us.

I bit my lip in thought, stepping over to the side as everyone began to crowd around Maggie - greeting each other tearfully and hugging. Carl came to stand beside me then, nudging my shoulder.

"What?" he asked when he noticed the tiny but brief smile that had graced my face.

"Nothing it...it just feels right like this - everyone together. I just wish..." I began before trailing off, a pang of sadness filling my heart as I thought of Daryl.

"You just wish Daryl could be here?" he asked, his voice soft.

My eyes met his one blue orb and I nodded solemnly, trying to hide my own sadness. Carl leaned in close to me then, his lips just brushing my earlobe as he began to whisper.

"Angel, turn around."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, not understanding his meaning. But I did as he bid me anyway. And once I had...I felt my heart leap into my throat. Coming out from behind the side of the mayor's house was...Daryl. His brown hair was unkempt as always and he wore a dark t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up his arms paired with black jeans. I could see the tiredness on his face from here.

But for all the changes, it was still Daryl. It was still my dad. Even before I had the time to think it, my legs had begun to take me to him - walking faster and faster as he started to do the same. I broke into a run, my booted feet kicking up dust from the dirt patches before I came to a complete stop in front of him. Dark strands of hair fell in his face as he stared at me in disbelief and shock.

"You...you're alive?" he asked finally, choking on the words as tears brimmed in his brown eyes.

Nodding to him, I felt a wave of hot tears trickle down my cheeks.

"Daddy!" I sobbed, my voice breaking.

And just like that, he'd gathered me up into his arms like I was a small child. I sobbed into his t-shirt as he held me so tight, I thought my lungs would burst. But I didn't care - dad was alive. He was alive! His hands tangled in my hair, pulling me closer and I breathed in the scent of him - the scent of home.

"I thought I'd never see you again," he whispered, placing a light kiss on the crown of my head.

"I-I tried to get to you! I wanted to come get you-" I started to say as he pulled away just enough to get a good look at me.

He shushed me quietly, cupping my face in his large, rough hands.

"Nah, I didn't want you there, Angel! I didn't want you to have to be at that place, you understand me?" he asked, his voice stern but kind, "You're my little girl. I just wanted you safe."

Nodding to him, I hiccuped softly before Rick came over. Stepping back so they could have their own reunion, I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear before wiping the tears away with the backs of my hands. Sniffing slightly, I turned around only to be met with an ice-blue orb. He sent me a small smile and I returned it, feeling butterflies erupt in my stomach from that one simple glance. Maybe things would get better. Maybe...just maybe...Negan wouldn't win.

But I had my family...and with them, we could do anything.