Chapter 13 ~ The Man With the Stick Returns

Note: Not the exact GIF I wanted 'cause it's not even night when they visit the Kingdom but it's all I could find XD

After leaving the Hilltop, Jesus suggested we meet the King. Honestly, I thought he was joking. Or that maybe he was drunk. But no, he was serious - apparently, there really was a King. Or rather, a leader who just called himself King of a small community named the Kingdom. So we all piled into a van and Jesus led the way there.

Of course, when we got there, all it was was an empty, abandoned parking lot...until some men on horseback showed up. My eyes widened at the horses.

"I haven't seen those in years!" I exclaimed from the backseat, breaking the silence that had formed after Jesus got out of the vehicle.

After exchanging a few words with them, Jesus signaled for us to get out and we did as told. I stepped out onto the cracked pavement alongside my dad and Tara.

"You say they're a like-minded community. Like-minded how?" one man asked, eyeing us warily.

"We live, we trade, we fight the dead. Sometimes others," Jesus shrugged.

The man was silent a moment before gesturing to us, "Line up,"

"Okay. This is a waste of time, " Daryl grumbled, already turning to get back into the van, "Come on. Let's go,"

"Maybe you're right. The King is a busy man. And it's a dangerous world... We don't usually allow a pack of strangers to waltz through our door," the man retorted.

"We want to make the world less dangerous and we are all here to show the King how serious we are about that," Michonne interjected, trying to keep the peace as best as possible.

"The car stays outside. You gotta hand over your guns,"

"We only have two," Rick shrugged before handing him his and nodding to Carl to do the same.

"Okay. Follow me," the man said, gesturing for us to follow.

We all walked along in mostly silence - a few of us having quiet conversations with the others. None of us knew just what we were walking into here. With the Hilltop, we already knew Maggie and Sasha. But the Kingdom? These people? These were strangers to us.

And sure, Jesus knew them and trusted them. But that doesn't mean we did - doesn't mean I did.

"You think this is going to work?" I asked Carl quietly, leaning closer to him.

Slowly, he nodded and when he thought my dad wasn't looking, I felt him rest a hand on my lower back. His touch was warm, making the sliver of skin not covered by my t-shirt burn where he touched me.

"Jesus trusts them," he said in response.

"But do we trust him?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

He bit his lip in thought before replying, "Dad does. And if he does, then so do I,"

A long sigh left my lips and I pondered his answer. Rick didn't trust just anybody - and Jesus could have ratted us out when we hitched a ride with him to the Sanctuary. But he didn't. And maybe that meant something. Finally, I nodded, leaning into my boyfriend's side as we walked.

"Then I do, too." I said simply, meeting his blue-eyed gaze.

He smiled, leaning down to peck my lips softly before we continued on. After a few more minutes of walking, we finally managed to make it to the Kingdom. And it was...incredible. It looked more like a town than Alexandria did - there were gardens, a gazebo, children running and playing, wet clothes stretched out on a line to dry, and even people exercising. My brown eyes widened and I let out a breathy laugh.

"Wow," I said quietly.

"They have the numbers," Michonne grinned, watching with her hands on her hips.

"But can they fight?" Rosita questioned, crossing her arms.

"Oh, they can fight," Jesus nodded to her.

"Maybe," Daryl shrugged.

From somewhere in the little town, I could hear soft music playing and as my eyes roved the crowd, they finally spotted an older woman strumming a guitar.

"Morgan?" Tara piped up then, making all heads turn in her direction.

I saw Rick smile as, sure enough, Morgan approached us. He gave a light hug to Tara before turning to me.

"Hey," he greeted, smiling softly as he pulled me in.

At first, I tensed but slowly, I relaxed and hugged him back briefly before pulling away.

"Hey. Long time, no see," I smiled back at him.

His eyes drifted down to my now-flat stomach and he met my gaze, "How's that baby of yours then?"

I bit my lip, my eyes flicking down to my muddy boots briefly before looking back up.

"She, um...I don't have her right now. Negan, he..." I trailed off, trying to find the words and failing.

He nodded in understanding, sympathy radiating from him as he patted my arm gently.

"You'll see her again. Don't you worry about that," he assured me and I nodded before the other man - Richard, I think they said his name was - interrupted us.

"How do you know each other?" he asked in confusion.

"He hit my boyfriend with a stick," I said, cracking a smile.

Morgan chuckled in response, shaking his head as Richard began to lead the way to the King. Everyone filed after him while Daryl, Rick, and I hung back to talk to Morgan.

"Did you find Carol?" Rick asked immediately.

"I did, yeah," Morgan nodded to him.

"Where is she? Is she okay?" Daryl asked and I arched an eyebrow at my dad's sudden concern.

"She was here, and then she left. You know, she wasn't too happy, me following her. She wanted to get away from us, from everyone. But when I found her, she was shot," Morgan informed us and I heard dad's small intake of breath at the word 'shot' before Morgan continued, "It was just a graze. I got her back here. They got doctors. They're good,"

"Was it them?" Daryl asked gruffly.

"It was. She had crossed with some of them, and one of them followed her, tried to kill her, but I stopped him. I killed him. I had to. Carol was here. She got help... Now she's gone." Morgan said softly.

Rick nodded and Daryl avoided my gaze. Carol was a lot of things. And I could never forget the way she shot down Owen. But...but I couldn't help the pang in my chest that formed at the broken look in my father's eyes.