Prologue

"Jane, come get your breakfast. It's the most important meal of every day!" I hear my mom say from the kitchen. I don't say anything. Instead, I just blink my eyes and walk to my chair in the kitchen to eat.

My mom says I should talk more. I don't think so. Seeing the birds fly past our windows and hearing them chirp is enough for me. 

There is a sudden knocking at the door and I wonder who would be at our house this early. "Open up! I'm here to kill your boredom!" Uncle Ryan...

My mom goes to open the door and finds a sticky note taped to the door instead of my uncle. "Ryaaan!" My mom doesn't realize how fast of a runner her brother still is. I watch him come through the back door, tippy-toeing to stand behind my mom. She turns around and jumps with surprise and Uncle Ryan laughs while I just sit there smiling.

"Hey, kiddo! Haven't seen you since last week! How have you been?" He asks as they both turn and walk towards the kitchen table and sit down. 

I look outside for a split second then look back to Uncle Ryan. "I've been okay, I guess. The birds are still chirping. Listen." He gets up to go to the window and puts his left ear to the window. "That's enough to make anyone's day! If only more teenagers were like you instead of being buried inside their phones!"

"Ryan, she meant for you to listen not to rant about other kids her age." My mom scolded him as he came back to his seat, pouting.

As we all finished breakfast, my mom and uncle were talking about what to do next weekend for my birthday. "What do you think, Jane? Blue or purple?" Ryan asks. "Bl..." My mom interupts. "She obviously wants purple! It's the color of royalty! Who wouldn't want purple decorations?" 

I could've intervened and told them what I actually wanted but none of it really mattered to me. I'm just going to sneak off to have some alone time, anyways. They probably know that already but just want to "give me a chance to socialize."

When they seemed to finish talking to me, I put my plate and silverware in the dishwasher and went back to my room. I grabbed my notebook from my bookshelf and sat on my bed to write about every little detail I witnessed just now. Blue jays flying past the open kitchen window, a cat beginning to stalk its prey, and a car starting accross the street...

After writing for about twenty minutes, I put my journal away and grabbed my laptop off of my nightstand to listen to calming piano music. Soon, a song that I used to hear all of the time came on. Autumn's Rain by Sheryll Frost. This song made me think about my old friend, Leo. He was the one who introduced it to me by playing it at his house. Sadly, he moved away after his grandmother passed away. I never found out where he went and he changed his phone number so I couldn't contact him.

I sat thinking about how he used to play the most beautiful songs and imagine the most wonderful of ideas. I wonder if he changed at all. Well, of course, he'd have changed a little by now. It's been three years, already!