Prologue

Liam stared aimlessly out the window. He watched the snow fall gently to the ground, covering the trees with a white blanket. His father was pacing up and down the hallway talking to various people on the phone.

Liam glanced down at his bitten fingernails, not wanting to think about what was going to happen.

He jumped when his father suddenly called him. "It's time to go now Liam".

They walked outside in the cold and Liam scrambled inside the car. The hospital was a mere 10 minutes drive but to Liam it felt like a lifetime. His father stopped the car and looked at Liam worryingly.

They walked into the hospital, through the bare, odd-smelling corridors. They finally stopped outside a room where a woman was sitting on a chair, holding her head in her hands.

She looked up as soon as she heard Liam and his father come. She wiped her face and rubbed her eyes which were bloodshot red. She gave a small, weak smile to Liam and looked at his father.

Liam's dad pushed the door of the hospital room open and Liam followed him inside. Their eyes fell upon a thin, pale woman lying on the hospital bed in a white gown. Her eyes darted to Liam and she smiled at him.

Liam felt a lump in his throat and walked towards his mother. He stood beside the bed, trying not to look at her, tears welling in his eyes. She clasped onto Liam's hand and told him to sit down next to her.

Liam stayed standing and she smiled again at him. The machine behind her head was continuously beeping.

Liam thought in his head, "This is it, this is the final goodbye"'