Chapter 1:Playmaker

A/N: I hope you enjoy this first chapter of this High School Musical Fanfiction.
Kelsi sat in home room. She was proud of herself for the most part being able to follow Ms. Darbus' speech. Suddenly, a cell phone rang. Kelsi knew that Ms Darbus hated cell phone more than anything else on this earth.

"Sharpay and Ryan Evans, your phones please. And I will see you in detention," said Ms Darbus.

Kelsi was slightly disappointed that Ryan was stupid enough to get his phone taken away.

"Mr Bolton, I see your phone in involved as well," . Troy dropped his phone in the bucket.

" We have a zero cell phone policy here at East High. We'll get to know each other in detention. And welcome to East High, Ms Montez," Ms Darbus said.

Gabriella put her phone in the bucket.

'There's something about that Montez girl. She's going places,' Kelsi thought.

The bell rang.
"Ah. Saved by the bell. You may collect your phones after detention. Have a nice day," Ms Darbus said.

Kelsi almost had to stifle her laughter. There was no way to start the day like starting it in Ms. Darbus' homeroom. Still, she was happy to be back at school. It's not like she really liked school, like Taylor, but it's safe for her. Her father isn't around when she's at school. Her mother died when Kelsi was born, and Kelsi's father was abusive.

Kelsi sat at the piano, frustrated. She knew that her show wasn't amazing, but these auditionners were not up to par for her show. She wanted a good first impression. She wanted to make a good first impression. She wanted to be seen by a school, maybe even Julliard. She was almost relieved when the single person auditions were over, except for the fact that she knew who was coming next; Sharpay and Ryan. She was excited to hear Ryan sing, but she was not excited to be anywhere near Sharpay. Sharpay wasn't exactly kind to her, but she did have her sights set on Ryan... She shook her head. Ryan would never want her.
"Uh, what key?" Kelsi asked Ryan.
Uh, she sounded so scared. Why would he even speak to hear outside of drama.

"Umm, we had a pianist do an arrangement," Ryan said, almost apologetically.

Ryan felt bad about it. He wanted to sing to Kelsi's playing, but Sharpay wouldn't have any of it. Sharpay and Ryan sang their song. It was a very good performance, except for the choreography malfunction with the jazz squares.

Kelsi was originally disappointed that they completely changed the feel of the song. It was supposed to be an slow, emotional duet between Minnie and Arnold, the two main characters of her musical, but Sharpay and Ryan has done it as an upbeat showtune. Though Sharpay and Ryan's version of the song started to grow on Kelsi, she still preferred her version of the song.

Ryan was disappointed. Ryan wanted to stay true to the song, but Sharpay wouldn't go for it. Ryan knew that staying true to the song would give them a better chance of getting the part, but since Sharpay thinks the world revolves around her, she demanded they do the song their way.

Kelsi hopped up and walked over to Sharpay.

"Umm, I was thinking if you do the part with that particular song, I imagined it much slower," Kelsi said.

"Kelsi. Kelsi darling. I've been in seventeen school productions. And how many times have your compositions been selected?" Sharpay asked.

"This would be the first," Kelsi said slowly.

"Which tells us that?" Sharpay asked.

"I need to write you more solos?" Kelsi asked.

" No. It means you do not offer suggestion, direction or commentary. Are we clear?" Sharpay asked.

" Yes ma'm. I mean Sharpay," Kelsi answered.

Even if Ryan liked Kelsi, getting through Sharpay would be next to impossible.

As the auditions were now over, Kelsi slowly started to gather her things to go to lunch. She sighed, already knowing who would be the leads. She wasn't sure how she would be able to work with Sharpay, but she was excited to be working on the show with Ryan. As Kelsi went to leave, tripped over the foot of the piano and landed face first, things flying everywhere. Troy Bolton ran towards the stage, with Gabriella Montez behind him. He began to help gather Kelsi's things, with Gabriella soon behind him. Kelsi paused, surprised that someone at this school would help her clean up.
"So you're the composer?" Troy asked.

Kelsi nodded slowly.

"You wrote the song Ryan and Sharpay just sang? And the whole show?" Troy asked.

Kelsi nodded again.

"Well, I look forward to seeing it. So why are you so afraid or Ryan and Sharpay anyway? I mean it is your show," Troy says.

"It is?" Kelsi asks.

"Isn't the composer of a show like the playmaker in basketball?" Asks Troy.

" Playmaker?" Kelsi asks confused.

Kelsi doesn't play sports, nor does she have any interest in them.

"You know, the one who makes everyone else look good. You're the playmaker Kelsi," Troy says.

"I am?" Kelsi asks, gaining confidence from her previously shy behaviour.

Troy nods.

"Do you want to hear how the duet is supposed to sound?" Kelsi offers.

Gabriella nods eagerly and walks towards the piano with Kelsi. Troy is a bit hesitant, but a look from Gabriella convinced him. Gabriella and Troy sing the duet properly, with Kelsi playing the piano.

"That's really nice," Troy says when the song is over.

"Bolton! Montez! You've got yourself a callback. Kelsi, give them the duet from the second act and work on it with them," Ms. Darbus demands.

Kelsi is immediately filled with excitement that maybe, just maybe, Twinkle Towne won't be another Sharpay show.

"I'm usually here before and after school, and sometimes even during biology class. You can come over to my house for breakfast, I have a piano. Before or after school, or after basketball class. We can rehearse then and get this sounding really good," Kelsi says, excited.