Chapter 21 ~ Finding What Once Was Lost

Note: *aggressively wishing that tiger was real* XD

We walked all night till we finally made it back to the Kingdom. It was early morning then - the sun was just coming up over the horizon. And thank goodness, everyone seemed to still be asleep. Daryl sent me to my room to pack up my things and I did as told. Trekking back into the room we'd shared the past few days, I hurriedly packed up the few belongings I had - clothes mostly along with an out-of-date snack-cake I'd filched from the kitchen here. As I stuffed the articles of clothing into the bag, I reached for my jacket and something fell out of it, landing with a thud on the floor.

Bending down to grab it, I grasped the object in my hand before bringing it up to my eyes. But when I realized what it was, I smiled. Nestled in the palm of my hand was Owen's shark-tooth necklace. I ran my fingers over the smooth surface, memories flooding back to times I'd seen him wearing it around his neck. I thought I'd lost it that day Negan had showed up. Carl had helped me search my room for it but we'd found nothing.

I'd chalked it up to my bad luck as of lately but here it was - hidden in my jacket pocket this whole time. Sliding it over my neck, it fell down past my neckline to rest on my chest. No matter what, Owen was still apart of me. He might be gone but I could never forget him. Shaking the sad thoughts free, I hurriedly packed up the rest of my clothes and after contemplating a moment, grabbed Alice's Adventures in Wonderland before stuffing it in as well. Sighing to myself then, I exited the room, in search of Daryl.

He said he'd meet me in town but that didn't seem to be the case because once I stepped outside, he was nowhere in sight. Sighing to myself, I shook my head. Always, on the move, I thought to myself with a roll of my eyes as I headed to the King's 'throne room'. I trudged inside, careful not to let the door slam behind me. Walking down the empty aisle, I circled round to the room behind the throne and sure enough, there was Daryl - sitting criss-cross-apple-sauce beside the tiger's cage.

"Thought I might find you here," I smirked as I sat down beside him.

Daryl said nothing and I let my eyes drift over to the large cat pacing inside the cage. She eyed me warily but didn't move or even growl. With slow, careful movements, I rested my hands on the bars, my fingers wrapping around the iron. Our eyes met and I held her stare, not backing down.

"Well, you're good with her," a familiar voice suddenly spoke up from in front of us, "Ezekiel will be impressed,"

I glanced up to see Morgan leaning against the doorway and he sent a small smile my way.

I shrugged, "Well, figure any guy that has a pet tiger can't be that bad,"

"And he's okay by Carol," Daryl piped up and I nodded in agreement.

Morgan shifted from foot-to-foot at that comment as Daryl continued, "Yeah, I found her, out in that little house,"

"Look, what I said when I said she just went away - it's what she told me to do," Morgan tried to explain but Daryl waved him off.

"No, I get it... We need the Kingdom. You got to make that happen," he told him seriously.

But Morgan just shook his head in response, still not willing to help us start a war. I almost snorted. Ever the pacifist.

"I'm sorry. I mean, I - I really am, but, uh, it can't be me," he shrugged, still holding onto his ideals.

Daryl sat up then and holding out a hand to me which I took gratefully, pulled me to my feet as well.

"Look, whatever it is you're holding on to - it's already gone, man. Wake up," he said bluntly before turning to grab his gear from where he'd thrown it on the floor.

"You're the same as me, Daryl," Morgan said after a moment.

Daryl spun on his heel to face him, anger evident in his tone at the assumption, "You don't know anything about me,"

"No, I do. 'Cause you didn't tell Carol what happened. You didn't, 'cause she'd be here otherwise. And I'm glad for that. See, we're all holding on to something," he told dad honestly and I felt Daryl shift uncomfortably beside me.

The crossbow on his back brushed against my arm, the cool metal creating goosebumps on my skin. Suddenly, we heard Shiva purr and we all glanced down to see her nuzzling Daryl's hand. I let out a giggle and Daryl grinned at me briefly before letting his hand fall.

"I'm going back to Hilltop in the morning and getting ready." Daryl said finally and with that, he led the way past Morgan and out the door.

I glanced back one last time at Morgan before I left, hovering just inside the doorway.

"May we meet again..." I said softly, truly meaning it.

He smiled sadly, nodding, "May we meet again..."

We got ready to leave the next morning and slinging my knapsack over my shoulder carefully, I trudged along after Daryl. We stepped out into the fresh sunlight as the gates of the Kingdom opened up to the outside world, on our way back to the Hilltop. And inside my chest, I felt my heart soar. I was going back to Carl.