Chapter 22 ~ Picnic Table Talk

Being back at Hilltop was great - I didn't feel like a stranger there. At least not as much as I had been at the Kingdom. Kinda did miss Shiva though, I admit. Everyone was glad to have us back although I think dad felt uncomfortable. I knew it was because of Glenn. I'd tried to talk to him about it but he would just shrug and brush me off like it was nothing.

But it bothered him more than he let on. Especially anytime he was around Maggie. I could practically see the guilt eating him alive. I sighed as I strolled over to him one morning. It had just gotten light outside but he was already up, sharpening his knives as he sat on top of one of the picnic tables. I stopped just in front of him, frowning.

"Whatcha doin'?" I asked, kicking at a rock with the tip of my Converse.

He shrugged, not responding as he continued sharpening.

When I let out a frustrated sigh, he finally relented though, "I'm gettin' ready. We wanna get that grandbaby of mine back, don't we?"

A grin split my face at his use of 'grandbaby' and I heaved myself up onto the picnic table beside him.

"Yeah. Yeah, we do..." I said, trailing off as my mind drifted to her.

I hadn't seen her but once since she'd been born and already, it had been 2 months since then. She was growing up fast, growing up without me in her life. The smile slid from my face just a fraction before I perked up again.

"So...are you excited to meet her?" I asked my dad, arching an eyebrow inquisitively.

He gave a small grunt as he worked, never taking his eyes off the blade, "Can't wait to teach her how to shoot a crossbow,"

A laugh escaped my mouth and Daryl smiled over at me. I opened my mouth to remark on that when suddenly, a loud alarm from the guard at the wall went off throughout the town. Daryl and I both glanced up immediately.

"SAVIORS ARE COMING!" the guard shouted out and we both shared a hesitant look.

"We better get Maggie," I said, hopping down from where I'd sat.

"Where is she?" Daryl asked immediately, mimicking my actions and snatching his knife off the table.

"Come on!" I called over my shoulder, racing forward.

We found Maggie quickly and together, we all ran to the gate.

"We'll never make it in time," she said, running a hand through her short, brunette hair.

The sound of revving engines started up from close to the gate and my eyes widened.

"Come on!" she said, grabbing my hand briefly to pull me along after her and Daryl just as the trucks began to roll in.

We looped around to the back of the mayor's house and Maggie opened up the root cellar doors, ushering us both inside before climbing in herself. It was dark and a strong, musty smell hit my nose just as Maggie pulled the doors to. She stepped closer to the back, pulling me along with her. I tried not to cough from the stale air but it was near impossible being shut up like this. She let go of my hand then as she pushed me behind one of the shelves that was still stocked with jars and cans. Pushing some of the larger jars in front of me to hide me from view, she did the same with herself.

"Daryl!" she whisper-yelled to dad, seeing as he still hadn't moved from his spot near the cellar doors.

Begrudgingly, he closed it completely then, leaving us all in complete darkness.

"Daryl!...Daryl!" she called again when he still hadn't moved from where was positioned, still attempting to peek through the holes in the door.

"Dad!" I called out, finally gaining his attention.

Glancing back at me for a few moments, he finally relented and moved back to hide beside me and Maggie. He pulled a heavy crate in front of us then and I let out a shaky breath. I hated being shut up like this. I'd never suffered from claustrophobia before but this? Being in the dark without no way of getting out? It was putting me on edge.

Warmth spread across my back though as Daryl pulled me to his chest, holding me close. Sighing, I buried my head in his dark t-shirt, feeling safer with my father near. And then we waited. It felt like an eternity, just being enveloped in pure darkness like that - waiting for something that may or may not come. Half an hour must have passed but I couldn't be sure when suddenly, the cellar doors creaked open. Light filled up the doorway but we were still hidden from view.

My heartbeat sped up. One of Negan's men was in here with us.