Chapter One

A/N - Thanks everyone for tuning into my newest story, I'm really happy to be finally posting this and I hope you all enjoy it because I've been working really, really hard on it. I want this to be the best story I've ever written and of course that only happens if you guys enjoy it so please comment and vote and I love every single one of you. Okay, read on before I start crying.

Today was quiet. Unlike usually, the loud waves were not crashing against the chalky cliffs beside my family home. The clouds weren't thundering above our heads and the rain did not crash against the floor in hard bangs that resembled old kettle drums like it had been for the last few weeks. Instead, the sun was shining and the water lapped against the bottom of the cliff in gentle splashes.

Today, the weather was so warm that when I peered down the edge of the cliff I saw dozens of children and adults splashing around in the hot sun, I saw people lying across the sandy edge a little way down and the rows of cars parked all along the coast. It surprised me how packed it was since my town was such a small little place with very few tourists. I presumed that the entire town must have gone down to enjoy the salty sea, including my family since I'd yet to see them that day.

As I listened, I could faintly here children squealing in delight, the sound of adults laughing hearty laughs and music playing from down the bottom of the cliff. It sounded so happy. Everyone in this town knew everyone and for the most part, everyone liked everyone so spending time with each other on a hot day wasn't unheard of in this town. The only members of this community who stuck to themselves were poetically types like myself who take pleasure in solitude and not having to put on fake smiles when talking to strangers and then there's the other teenagers who spend their times behind dumpsters and in alleyways jacking up- or whatever "normal" teenagers do.

Because of the beautiful weather, I decided to take advantage of it on my own and headed out to the park that was situated not too far down the hill which I lived at the top of. I made my way down, clutching my oldest friend under my arm as I quickly jogged down the steep steps and pathways until I reached the old court.

Caprio Cliff was home to over 400 individuals. It was topped with large houses because of its beautiful scenery, however this lead to the cliff-top being mostly polluted by old and rich people, my father for example is one of those snobs.Then from the middle to the bottom of the cliff there was a collection of smaller homes.

As you travel down the cliff, the houses became more rugged and rough, some houses are only small -with cupboard bedrooms and mediocre facilities like kitchens, bathrooms and such like- which would have to be shared between a family. These were for the poorer people but even then, the rougher houses still fetched a higher price than some houses in the cities so I can't call these family's poor, just poorer than people like my father who reside at the top of the cliff.

The cliff is steep and very dangerous at some points so as a safety measure a little tram was built several years ago for the old people who can't bring themselves to walk up and down the cliff every day or so. It visited five stops in total, the first stop was just outside my house and the last was at the very bottom beside the sandy beach where the whole town was clearly visiting today.

The tram is terribly expensive if you ask me and I didn't want to waste the little pocket money I received from my father to get on the tram when walking didn't trouble me much since I learnt all the safe paths when I was younger.

When I reached the park, I walked right through the wooden gate, passing all the rusted swings and broken slides that still need replacing, across the sharp, scattered woodchips and into the small court which was used a lot by the kids who enjoyed playing football, netball and other sports on Saturdays when school's out. I smiled and tilted my head to the left side, letting my hair fall from my right so that the sun brushed against my cheek, the warmth felt good and I stood like that for several minutes, soaking up the sun's heat.