Chapter One-New Beginnings

May 20, 1995

May 20, 1995

**Prince’s POV**

A year has come and gone just like they did. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake. I did love them and in time I could’ve made a choice but, I was wrapped up in my own pride and selfishness. I didn’t know what I was doing to them. I didn’t think they’d actually leave. As I prepare to go find Genny in the concrete jungle of New York City. I wonder what she and Mele have been up to…

**Mele’s POV**

Following the disaster that was the Could U Be aftershow, I went to the only place I knew I’d be able to pick up the pieces and try to move on with the rest of my life.  I went home...

There was only one problem…for the first time in my life, I couldn’t dance. You see, dancing brought too many memories with it of what might’ve been, but now could never be.  

Once my family got word of what happened back in Minnesota everyone, but most especially Malie threatened to hop on a plane to give him a piece of their mind but I talked them out of it.  

Malie is in the middle of wedding planning after all, so I told her what I knew to be true...that I needed to figure this one out for myself.

To that end, I threw myself wholeheartedly back into my volunteer work at the local animal shelter.  I’d always found the work rewarding, and it was both healing and awe inspiring to be a part of changing the world for all the dogs, cats...and even birds that came through the place.  To see them go from broken down, defeated, homeless animals to someone’s beloved furry family member somehow made all the hard work seem worthwhile.

I also devoted a large portion of my time into my home renovation business, a business that really started to take off once the show aired and a larger customer base became familiar with what I had to offer.  

I was kept incredibly busy...so busy that I didn’t have time to breathe, let alone to reflect on what brought me to this point or to even begin to truly heal.  

I’d work myself to exhaustion, pass out, then wake up and start things all over again...and for a while, that seemed to be working.  

At least until one day I got a call from Malie...officially asking me to be her maid of honour, and to fly out to California as soon as possible to help her put the finishing touches on her wedding planning.  After all, the wedding was only a few months away and there was still so much to do.  

The next day, I was going to once again be on a plane bound for the mainland.  And as I laid in bed that night, I tried to concentrate on Malie and Jeff's upcoming nuptials but to my chagrin, I instead felt my eyes well up with tears.