Chapter 24 ~ Serious Piggyback

Note: Sorry for the lateness in the update, I've had a family member in critical condition in the hospital and I've been and will be up there most of this following week. Possibly longer... But anyhow, this chapter is mostly daddy/daughter fluff and slight filler 'till I get back to writing. Hope you enjoy it! :)

We stayed a couple of days more with Maggie, Sasha, and Jesus at the Hilltop but soon, we had to bid our goodbyes. Alexandria needed us. And...and I missed Carl. It made my heart ache just to think of him. It took a day and half to get there so we started early but as the day wore on, I could feel my legs getting tired. A frustrated groan burst free from my mouth and Daryl turned his head slightly, never stopping his pace.

He arched an eyebrow inquisitively at me, "Tired already? You know, when I-"

"Oh, please, no! Not the "when I was a kid" speech!" I whined, slapping my hands over my eyes briefly.

A deep chuckle emitted from his lips and he shook his head, strands of dark hair falling in his face. He stopped in his tracks then with his back still facing me, "Alright, hold up,"

Carefully, he slung his crossbow around to where it rested over his chest and bent down. I stared at him quizzically a moment before he spoke.

"Hop on," he said and I almost snorted.

"Are you serious?" I arched an eyebrow at my dad, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Yeah. It's a serious piggyback. Jump up," he said and a grin split my face.

Bracing my hands on his shoulders, I jumped up on his back. He let out an 'oof' then.

"You're heavy than you look," he complained, a teasing tone in his voice.

I smacked him on the back of the head playfully as his hands held onto the underside of my thighs to keep me from slipping off.

"Just don't drop me," I warned, only half-joking and he let out a snort.

We began walking again, slower now but the soreness in my legs ebbed away as dad carried me down the road.

"So you gonna tell me your "when I was a kid" speech now?" I asked, latching my arms around his neck loosely.

"Nope. I was gonna tell you 'bout the time I got lost in the mountains," he started to tell me as we traipsed along the abandoned road, "Had to walk for miles. And you wanna complain?"

I rolled my eyes playfully even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"I lived off of berries for nine days. Even used poison oak for-"

I put up a hand then, stopping him, "I don't think I need to know that part,"

He cracked a wry smile and continued, leaving out the poison oak part this time.

"No one knew I was gone, though - not even your Uncle Merle 'cause he was in juvi at the time. My dad didn't notice I'd been gone either but then again, that came as no surprise,"

I frowned, taking in his words. I always knew he'd never had a good home life and he'd even talked to me a few times about it. But it still hurt to hear it. I hated the idea of my grandfather being an abusive man. And worse, that my dad had to live through that kind of torture.

"So when I got there, I just walked in the back door and made myself a sandwich," he shrugged, hoisting me up higher since I'd begun to slide down his back.

A laugh escaped my mouth and Daryl chuckled along with me.

I rested my head on his shoulder then and closed my eyes, "Thanks for this,"

"For what?" he asked in confusion, "The piggyback ride?"

I shook my head against his jacket, strands of hair falling over his shoulder.

"For today. Actually...all these days. Hiding from Negan's men isn't ideal but...I like spending time with you... I love you, daddy," I said, my voice growing quieter at the end.

He was silent a moment until finally, I heard him speak softly, "I love you, too, Angel. You're one tough kid, you know that?"

A smile split my face and I felt my heart warm at his words.

"Yeah...I get it from my dad."