CHAPTER ONE

Seven Years Ago
"We shouldn't be here DaMarcus."

"Don't be a baby De, we'll be fine."

We climbed over a fallen tree, sinking deeper into the forest as night fell around us. This was our usual thing, me and my brother always into something. Tonight we were suppose to be climbing a small hill and then fighting for who gets to stand at the top. I was going to win. DeMario was small, baby compared to me.

"I'm hungry Marcus."

I sucked my teeth, "we're coming up on a gas station. I'll buy you some chips."

DeMario looked at the ground and then smiled, "last one there is a rotten egg."

We both took off flying through the trees with the light that marked the opening in sight. DeMario was four years younger than me, my legs were easily longer and once I was in front of him, he had already lost. By the time we reached the end of the woods both of our lungs burned but we weren't going to stop until someone touched the silver handle of 63rd Food and Gas.

"You ready to kiss the pavement," I yelled back at DeMario who was putting all he had into the last couple of feet of running. I ran as quickly as possible, wrapped my hand around the door handle and held both hands up.

"You cheated Marcus."

"Yeah, whatever you say loser. Kiss the pavement."

DeMario, who was still patting, knelt down and kissed the sidewalk. I laughed and he couldn't help but to get up and laugh too. I pulled the handle open, allowing DeMario to walk in first and then following after him.

"I'm gonna get a-" De screamed bloody murder, his whole body shaking and I stopped in my tracks behind him. A man, standing there, dressed in all black, a silver gun dangling out of his hand. The owner, Mr. Shaw, was on his knees with two customers beside them. I wanted to run, but De was paralyzed in fear and I wasn't going to leave him.

"DaMarcus, DeMario, go home," Mr. Shaw croaked out.

"They're not going anywhere," his voice was sickly, eerie, the hairs on the back of my neck stood, "they're going to stay right here."

"They're children."

"I didn't ask you!" The man held the gun up to Mr. Shaw's chest, I heard the bullet exit the gun and the world went slow.

I don't know why, but I decided I was going to stop the bullet. I ran in front of Mr. Shaw, things still moving incredibly slow, I reached out and the bullet landed in my hands. I heard it crunch and then nothing.

"What the fuck are you gettin' at kid? The hell's happening here?"

I didn't know what was happening, all I knew that a bullet had landed in my hand, I wasn't hurt, and it was now crumbled metal on the floor.

"DaMarcus, are you alright?" DeMario still looked scared, his face was pale which was shocking with his skin such a warm shade of brown.

I shrugged, looking back at the man quickly.

"Get out of here! Leave us alone!"

"Kid who the fuck-"

I punched him, I don't know why but it was like I was acting on pure instinct. He flew. Not a small distant but half way across the store, crashing through the beer wall and sliding down.

"Someone call 911!" A customer yelled, hopping up and running out of the store.

Mr. Shaw's mouth was open and I decided to simply walk away instead of try to explain what just happen. I couldn't. For some reason, something kicked it and I had crushed a bullet and knocked a man through a wall with one hand. Was this puberty?

"Lets go DaMarcus!"

"What about the police?"

"You want to explain what just happened to them? I've seen this movie Marcus, you'll end up in some lab and I won't have a brother anymore. Let's go."

I took one last glance at Mr. Shaw before taking of running behind De into the night.