― t h r e e. On the Edge

CHAPTER THREE

I met up with Lzzy the next day like she said

I met up with Lzzy the next day like she said. We met at the bridge on top of Sweetwater River and sat on the side of the bridge with our legs dangling off the edge.

When I sat down next to Lzzy she immediately shoved a new pack of cigarettes into my hands. "What's this for?" I held up the pack of cigarettes.

She winked, "For being one badass bitch."

I groaned, "I hate getting into this." I tapped the cigarette pack and took out a cigarette.

Lzzy took out a cigarette as well, and held it between her teeth. "So what happened? Why was Sweet Pea coming after you?" She asked as she fumbled for a lighter in her jacket.

"Sweet Pea?" I furrowed my brow.

Lzzy clicked on the lighter which ignited a flame that she used to burn the end of the cigarette. She sucked in the smoke and exhaled it.

"The guy who came after you yesterday," she explained.

A tough guy like that with the name 'Sweet Pea'? It took every ounce in me to hold in my laughter. "Sweet Pea?" I said without seriousness, "That's his name?"

Lzzy was trying not to laugh as well. "Yeah, that is his name," she replied. "So why was Sweet Pea going after you yesterday?" She asked again.

I bit my lip as to stop myself from giggling. "I thought they'd tell you?" I inhaled the smoke from the cigarette.

"All they told me was that you were in the fight," said Lzzy.

I clicked my tongue. "Well, Sweet Pea was beating up Archie so I beat him up," I explained.

"That's it?"

"Yep."

She didn't say anything.

"You believe me?" I continued.

"Yeah," she said. "Why else would you have a reason to beat up a Serpent? If you hated the Serpents, then you wouldn't be sitting here, smoking a cigarette with me."

I chuckled and sucked in the smoke.

"Why are you proud of me though?" I questioned. "Shouldn't you be hating me for fighting the Serpents?"

"You only fought one guy, and it was for your brother so it's understandable," Lzzy explained. "Also, you're my best friend. You obviously don't have anything against the Serpents."