It's Important ( steve rogers x reader ) one shot

You haven't slept much since New York, but hey, no one ever notices, right? You're just the one who does all the computers and hacking, you're not a 'hero' like the rest of them. You've been living with Tony in Stark Tower, since your apartment was destroyed in the alien invasion in New York.

"I don't care, Pepper, he is not staying with us!" Tony shouted as he walked in to the kitchen where you were sitting with your computer working on a mission Fury had just assigned you to.

"Hey kid." Tony said pulling some orange juice out of the fridge "Do you want me to make you so...." He was cut off by Pepper.

"Tony, he is coming to stay with us, he has no where else to go, his house was destroyed too, just like (y/n)!" she yelled.

"Fine, but he stays downstairs.' Tony replied.

"Who is coming to stay?" you asked softly.

"The star spangled man." Tony scoffed.

You blushed slightly, trying to hide your excitement.

                                ***

Today was the day Steve was moving in, you were up early because you were still not sleeping well.

"Hey (y/n) I am making some pancakes, want some?" Pepper asked kindly.

"No thanks, I'm not hungry" you replied.

Steve walked in just as you replied, he looked slightly concerned but didn't say anything, it may just be an off day for you.

"Cap?" Pepper asked.

"No thank you ma'am, I already ate." Steve replied like the gentleman he is.

"Hey STEVE!" your voice rose involuntarily and you blushed bright red.

"Hello, (y/n)" Steve laughed softly "you all up to date on the next mission? It's about to get really heavy."

"Uhm, yeah... easy stuff." You smiled trying to hide the worry in your eyes. You have been working yourself hard, trying to catch up on everything, no one realises how hard you have to work, you are the brains behind the missions.

                              ***

It was dinner time and walked in slowly, your eyes were bloodshot and bags were starting to form under them. You plunked yourself down at the table.

"Are you alright ma'am?" Steve asked you, with a worried look on his face.

"Of course, Cap" you replied with a giggle, trying to hide how exhausted you were.

"Soup or spaghetti, (y/n)?" Tony yelled from the kitchen.

"None for me, Stark, I'm going out for a bite to eat with a...uh, old friend soon" you lied.

Steve looked at you with his eyebrows furrowed. You pretended you didn't notice. Once he stopped you looked at him and gave him a weak smile. You then walked off to your room, got dressed and headed out the front door.

As you were walking down the busy streets, your mind started wandering. 'How do Tony and Pepper not notice that I haven't eaten in three days? I have been working on this hack for Fury and have barely been away from my computer...I am getting way to good at hiding...I must be...but I am almost done I just have to finish, it's important.'

You suddenly felt extremely light headed; your knees weak and you fell. But you didn't hit the ground. Someone was holding you, carrying you.

"Get your hands off me" you said with a weak voice.

                        ***

You woke up in your bed.

"You're awake..." Steve was sitting next to you brushing your hair out of your face.

"How long.." you coughed "how long was I out?" you asked softly

"About two hours" he replied with a saddened voice." What's going on (y/n)? and don't say nothing, because this isn't like you, you haven't been eating or sleeping, I can hear you walking around at all hours of the morning!"

"Steve..." you began "I just... this mission, this hack...it's...important.." you trailed off.

"(y/n), not as important as you" Steve cupped your face with his hand.

His hand was warm, it instantly made you feel safe, like nothing mattered, like it were just the two of you in the world.

                        ***

Steve walked in to your bedroom and sat on the chair in the corner, you sat up.

"No, (y/n), go back to sleep. I just spoke with Fury and he has agreed to give you and me some time off to make sure you are back to your old self" he said to you in a soft voice.

"But Steve what about the mission?" you asked him, rubbing your eyes.

"You are more important to the team than a mission, (y/n), and if you aren't there to keep as all in line, there is no team. They will manage for a couple of weeks until you are feeling better" Steve said, smiling. "Now, rest up ma'am. Tonight I am taking you dancing".