01

Please Read

I'm still writing this but I have everything already laid out so you can count on me finishing this and not stopping!! I try to update every other weekend due to school work in between. Though if I do miss an update, you will be notified within 3 days for the next chapter. My chapters range from being short to long!
(THIS STORY IS DEFINITELY FOR MATURE PEOPLE)

****CURRENTLY UNDER EDITING! BEWARE OF GRAMMAR ISSUES!****

THIS STORY CONTAINS:

Mature language

Violence

Gore

Sexual themes

Please vote and comment! They help me write!

Authors note: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are a product of the author's imagination. Locales and public names are sometimes used for atmospheric purposes. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or to businesses, companies, events, institutions, or locales is completely coincidental.

~•~•~•~•~
The cold air blowing through the open doorway in the manor's foyer touched my cheeks as I tucked away the stolen ring in my shirt. Looking around the room I snort. People are dying on the streets and trying their best to sell meager fruit while the nobles have enough to fill a decorative basket.
The foyer was extravagant; clean stone walls lined with silver scones and rich oak wood end tables that accented the brown bearskin rug. Looking around made me sick. It also made me want to steal more and hand it out to the King's forgotten people.
"Hazel, we came for what we wanted. Let us go," Azreil says to me from the massive doorway of the manor, the darkness outside providing a silhouette of his figure.
    "Come on Azreil. Don't you want to look around a bit." I pick up a green apple out of the ornate table basket. "See what's in this house? As a noble, I'm sure they have a lot of coin that won't be missed, but will be highly appreciated on the streets." I turn away from his glaring face and go to bite into the apple I swiped when his gloved hand reaches around and takes it.
    "In case you have forgotten, we only want to grab what we officially came for," he says in a matter-of-fact tone, "and we don't stay longer than needed. We don't want this place to look like it was broken into. The ring needs to sell before it is found missing and reported to the king's guard." He walks around and places his hands on my shoulders. Sighing, his breath blows a stray brown wisp of my hair from my cloak. "I'm really starting to question Jarons opinion on you being the best on the field."
I frown at that his statement. Jaron doesn't give compliments to his assassins, and I hate any complimentary from him. It could only lead to bad things.

     "I don't know why Jaron put you on this mission. You know I could do this on my own." I retort back, winking at him.
     I did know why though; Azreil is the next best in the guild. This ring must be very special if Jaron sent his two best assassins on the mission. He chuckles and pushes past me to the door. Then another reason tickled my mind. What if Jaron knows me and him are more than comrades when he strictly forbids any relations? A shiver goes down my spine at the thought of what would happen if Jaron ever did find out.
    I go to pick up the apple Azreil stole out of my hands when through the window I see a lantern light of a carriage come barreling from the woods towards the manor.
    Cursing under my breath, I run to Azreil, pushing him to the side before he walks out the door and blows this whole mission. As he falls onto the small table next to the door with a loud crash, I hurry and shut the door, hiding us from view.
    "What the hell! What are-" his words fall flat when the carriage stops outside the entrance.
I pull the hood of my cloak tighter around my face and take off through the house. The table was picked up and Azreil's soft steps followed behind as we run towards the kitchen, exiting from the servants' back door. Other sounds of the front door opening and feverish yelling reach us and know we have to move faster or we would be caught.
    There shouldn't even be a risk of getting caught since we were guaranteed they would be gone for court business at the palace. We could kill them but that would cause more problems and I would rather be dead than deal with the punishment off "avoidable deaths" from Jaron.
    The halls are dark since no torches or candles lit the walls, making it difficult to see well. Using the training we received, Azreil and I use our other senses to get to our back up escape plan. A few feet from opening the kitchen doors, I hear someone inside talking. Cursing under my breath, I turn to tell Azreil we can't go this way when the door to the kitchen starts to open. Azreil's arm shoots out, pushing us into a dark corner along the wall. The door opens and two servants feverishly talking in hushed tones rush by, their candles flickering in the wind they make. My breath releases when they don't notice the dark shadows hiding on the walls.
    Once they disappear, I step off the wall and lean against the kitchen door to hear if anyone else is in there. When rattling pots and mumbled curses hit my ears I turn and shake my head no to Azreil.
    Turning around we race down another hall silent as ghosts.  Coming to a halt at the foot of some stairs Azreil whispers, "This could be a bad idea."
Listening to the footsteps heading our way I point behind us, "That would be a worse idea." With a sigh Azreil and I leap three steps at a time and reach the second floor in no time.
      "This way." I whisper to Azreil and I lead us to the first bedroom on the right and open the door. Azreil and I  move swiftly to the window we saw earlier We searched each room till we found this damned ring and it better be worth all this trouble. I lift the window and look out to make sure that we are facing the back of the woods. Looking down, I see an easy drop to a wagon of hay. Thank the seven gods.
     "Clear," I say and jump out the window after I check to make sure the ring is still in my shirt. The scratch and smell of dusty hay follow as I gracefully hop out the wagon to the soft grass. I hear a muffled thud behind me as Azreil hops down from the wagon. I roll my eyes.
     "You should really try to land quieter." I tease him. Even though I'm not looking at him, I can tell he is scowling. He always hates to be criticized on how he works.
      "Not everyone can be as good as you," he says and smacks the back of my head before starting a now silent run to the woods where the horses are tied.
************************************