Chapter 31 ~ And So It Begins...

Just as soon as the gun went off, a hand clamped down onto the weapon and it was pushed aside. Carl looked up guiltily into the face of his father and I held back a snort.

"What are you doing?" he asked harshly, his ice-blue eyes hard, "You could have shot somebody,"

"That was kind of the point, Rick," I piped up, earning another harsh glare before I rolled my eyes at him, "Well, not one of y'all obviously! We thought you were one of Negan's men,"

Rick shook his head in exasperation, about to speak again when Michonne pulled on his arm.

"Let's discuss this further at home, okay? We need to get back before Negan does," she told him, gently tugging him towards the door.

Rick said nothing, letting her lead him and we all followed behind. When we finally reached the back door, we all filed out and everyone got into their respective vehicles. My infant daughter was swaddled against my chest, her eyes now fluttered closed once again. Biting my lip, I watched her sleep the whole ride back to Alexandria. Out of my peripheral vision, I could sense Michonne watching me - watching us. I knew it was because she was happy for me - I finally had my daughter back me, my missing piece. The four of us were silent on the way back and about fifteen minutes later, we had arrived.

The towering wall surrounding the town loomed up before us - the familiar red, rusted color of it a comfort to me. Almost as soon as we had rolled inside and Rick cut the engine, everyone was filing out of the vehicles. We had to be ready by the time Negan and his people showed up. Thank goodness though, most of the townspeople - along with our new allies I had nicknamed the Junkyard People - had already taken care of what needed to be done. Everyone split up then, heading to their separate posts and I saw Daryl give me a curt nod before walking off his own.

"Angel, I want you and your daughter to stay in one of the houses while we take care of this with Negan," Rick said, putting a hand on my shoulder as he talked.

"What?" I asked in confusion, "What are you talking about? I have to help, I have to fight-"

"No. You don't. It's not just about you anymore, Angel - you have her to protect," he said sternly, his eyes briefly flicking down to the bundle in my arms, "And she needs you more than we do right now,"

Slowly, his words sunk in and I realized he was right. Suddenly, the sound of vehicles rumbling closer to us roared in my ears, making my blood run cold. I wanted to fight - to help end this and get my revenge on Negan. But... I knew my daughter needed me too...

"Angel..." Rick's voice lowered down to almost a whisper as he leaned closer to me, "What would happen to her if you died? The child needs her mother."

Tears brimmed in my eyes at his speech but I blinked them back. He was right, of course. She had to come first now. Not my own thirst for revenge. I nodded to him and he squeezed my shoulder once reassuringly before stalking off to head to his own post. With careful movements, I headed over to one of the vacant houses. From just outside the gate, I heard the familiar voice of Eugene talking to Rick.

The words of treason spilling from his mouth were like knives in my heart - I had considered him a friend, a very dear friend... But he was Negan now - we had lost him, too. Hurriedly, I took the stairs to one of the houses two at a time. My boot had just crossed the threshold of the door when I heard a voice ring out loud and clear in the air.

"You ever hear the one about the stupid little guy named Rick who thought he knew everything but didn't know anything and got everyone he cared about killed?... It's about you. You're all gonna wanna put your guns down now."