Chapter 32 ~ Disobeying Rick's Orders

I stayed inside as Rick had bid me, rocking my baby gently in my arms as I paced across the room. My boots scuffed across the wooden floorboards as I moved, my eyes flicking every now and then to glance out the window. I couldn't see anything past the wall but I could hear loud voices and see Rick still talking. The woman that was supposed to be helping us, Jadis, had Rick at gun-point now. It made my blood boil just to see it but when he had turned ever so lightly and caught my gaze, he shot me a stern look. I knew what that mean without having to hear him say it - I was in no way supposed to leave this house, not even if it was to help him.

My daughter was awake now, cooing as I bounced her gently in my arms.

"I know, sweetie... But Rick told me not to leave," I told her, gazing down into her cocoa-brown eyes.

She gurgled happily, of course not understanding a word I said. I rolled my eyes playfully, realizing I was already beginning to talk to her in a way I'd seen Rick or Michonne talk to Judith. All of a sudden, there was a big commotion outside and I strode over to the window, peering out of the smudged glass. I still couldn't see a thing but I could hear shouting which was soon followed by gun shots. My dark eyes widened and I cursed under my breath, flickering my gaze between the commotion and my daughter. My heart caught in my throat at her infantile innocence - she was so young, so pure.

But I couldn't just let my people die, let my family die. Not when I could still help them.

"Mommy's gotta leave you in here for a minute, okay?" I told her softly, reluctantly setting her down on the couch in the corner, "But I promise I'll be back for you. I won't leave you again."

I leaned over her then and pressed my lips to the warm skin of her forehead, already loving her with all my heart. I stood up then and with one last glance back at the small infant, I slipped out the door. The gunfire was louder out here than it had been inside, filling the air with the deafening sounds. Removing the gun from the holster on my hip, I checked the chamber and was glad to find it still loaded with three clips left. There were people fighting everywhere - from both sides. I scanned the crowd and saw Tara shooting a few of them down while Tobin had her back, shooting more from his own vantage point.

Well, at least the two of them were fine. But where was everyone else? One of Negan's men charged toward me just then and I barely had time to pull the trigger as he neared. The bullet shot free from the chamber, embedding itself square in his forehead. I continued to pick my way through the mayhem then, shooting people down left and right. It took me a few minutes but finally, I spotted them. Daryl had a rifle in his hands, shooting down Negan's men with Eric, and a few others nearby doing the same.

From up on top of the walls I heard more gunshots and assumed everyone else had made it out alive as well. But just as soon as I had thought maybe we were winning...everything went south. The Junkyard People rounded up everyone and soon, they all had been taken into Negan's custody. I ducked down behind a trash can just as a couple more of them strode past. It wasn't over yet though... Slinking along the wall, I stepped carefully around the dead bodies littering the ground.

I glanced down at one of them - their head smashed in with brain matter mixed with blood splattered out on the dirt around them. They'd re-animate soon... Everything had gone quiet around me then, I realized with sudden clarity as I moved to hide behind one of the houses. I had a good view of Negan from here. He had two people on their knees, I could tell but there was some others standing in the way, blocking my view. I growled under my breath in agitation before finally, they moved out of the way.

But when they did, my heart caught in my throat just as my brown eyes met the ice-blue gaze of one of Negan's hostages. I cussed under my breath, feeling my chest tighten. He had Carl.

Note: Only a few chapters left, y'all!! :D