The Woods

The woods were quiet. Quiet and empty.

Leif and his companions trudged through the trees, cold and hungry. It had been almost a week since the ten had left the others at the settlement and ventured inland to explore. They had set out with minimal supplies intending to hunt for food as they journeyed but had yet to see a single living creature. No deer, no boar, not even birds. The strange shores seemed to be devoid of life. Fortunately, the warriors had come across fields of wheat as well as an abundance of wild grapes which would be useful for the settlement. Without the grapes, they would have run out of food days before.

"We should turn around and go back to the others. This land is cursed. There is more life to be found on the shores of Niflheim," one of the men - a short, grizzled warrior named Valbrand – grumbled as he clambered up a steep slope, his pack and weapons clanging as he moved.

One of the others, whose long beard was the colour of fire, scooped up a rock and threw it at his companion, bouncing it off the fur cloak he wore to keep out the bitter cold. "Will you stop your bellyaching Valbrand? Six days you've been complaining. Why did you even come?"

Valbrand reached the top of the hill and leaned against a tree, waiting for the others. "Because, Hallvard, I thought there would be better eating. All they had back at the ship was fish. I was sick of it. I wanted red meat. Now I'd give anything for some fish. I never want to see a grape again."

A hand reached out and Valbrand helped another of the explorers up the last few steps. "No more wine for you then?" The young warrior – barely more than a boy - grinned through his patchy attempt at a beard and collapsed against Valbrand's tree. "Did you hear that? Valbrand is off his wine!"

"More for the rest of us!" came a cry from down the slope which raised cheers from the rest.

Valbrand shook his head vigorously, "Wine doesn't count, Hallgrim. You can't see the grapes."

Another pair of Norsemen reached the top of the incline helped by Hallgrim and Valbrand. Soon all ten of the explorers sat atop the hill, slumped against the trees as they caught their breath.

Hallvard unfastened his pack and dug around inside for a moment. "Anyone want a grape?" he asked grinning as he pulled a small sack out of his bag. "Valbrand?" He flicked one of the small purple pieces of fruit across at his friend.

"Unless you want me to stick my axe in your skull, keep those cursed things away from me," Valbrand growled as he kicked the grape away.

"Stop it, both of you. Valbrand, stop complaining or you can go without food for a few days until you appreciate it more. And Hallvard, stop wasting the supplies or you can join him."

The pair stopped bickering and looked sheepish.

Leif Erikson, whose hair and beard was the colour of gold, climbed to his feet. "My father wouldn't turn back so neither will I. Let's get moving before the light leaves us."

Obeying their captain, the men climbed to their feet slinging their heavy packs onto their back. Hallgrim, ever eager, was the first to his feet.

"We'll travel west until nightfall and then make camp," Leif commanded. "Hallgrim, Hallvard, lead the way. Thorred, Halfdan, bring up the rear."

Continuing on their way, the group weaved their way through the trees, clambering over fallen trunks and skirting around boulders until they came upon a clearing surrounded by towering pines. Scattered around the clearing were the first signs of life they had encountered in the new land.

Leif and his crew had made land twice before finally finding the perfect spot for their new settlement. The first location, a place Leif had named Helluland, had been desolate and rocky with long beaches and cliffs that barred most of their attempts to journey in from the coast. When they had finally found a break in the cliffs and explored inland, they had found something unsettling: evidence of hastily abandoned camps, signs of battle and masses of blood dried on the rocky ground. They had searched around but found no sign of the bodies nor any sign of the living. And, as with everywhere else on the continent, no sign of any animal life.