Prolouge

Shrieks pierce the normally silent neighborhood as a dark, rolling cloud overtakes and consumes the white, cheery houses block by block. I have screamed a lot in the past few weeks but those feeble shouts will never amount to these. They start off low and then build at a steady crescendo, fear pulsating within every tone. 

There is chaos as my fellow neighbors of countless years run from the dark mass in blind terror. But I know that they are no match for this cloud of destruction which consumes everything leaving only the barest of bones behind, and shells of homes.

 I happen to catch the eyes of Sheila, who I always considered a friend, running with her little brother William. She has much more ground on the rest of the people since my neighborhood was mostly full of elderly citizens who simply cannot keep up. I can see the blind terror in her eyes and she falls, tripping over her brothers feet. I can see the reality set in that she could not run, it was no use. She holds her brother tight in her arms, who is sobbing hysterically. Her eyes meet mine once again and she extends one arm out to me, her mouth forming words that, to this day, I won't know. I watch as she is swallowed up until her finger, on her still extended arm, is gone. Its the least I could do, after all, this is all my fault.