Her mother's family {Chronicles of Narnia/Harry Potter Crossover}

Narnia is owned by the CS Lewis estate, and JK Rowling owns the Harry Potterverse. I own only the plot.

Petunia Dursley swept imaginary dust from the mantlepiece. Those no-good freaks hadn't even bothered to dust, had they? The impertinence! How dare they interrupt her life for a year, all because of that dark wizard and that nephew of hers! She was interrupted from her thoughts by the ring of the doorbell. Opening the door, she prepared herself to fend off a nosy neighbor. Instead she saw a strangely familiar woman in her sixties. She had obviously been very beautiful once, albeit extremely small, in fact elfish was the first word that came to Petunia's mind. Her hair was a greying gold, cut in a bob. She wore a stylish business suit, and had a fairly unwrinkled face. Her large eyes were the most noticeable feature, they were bright blue and filled with mirth befitting a child. Petunia's breath caught as she realized why the woman was so familiar - this was what Lily might have been - would have been if not for those freaks. The coloring was wrong, but the features were all Lily's.

"May I come in?" the woman asked, startling Petunia. Her voice - Lily's voice, but with a strange lilt to it, and an accent that Petunia could not place.

"Yes," Petunia quickly replied. "Come into the living room." Stupid, she knew, bringing a stranger into the house, but she felt a strange compulsion to do so, a greater force telling her that this woman was to be trusted.

As they sat down, the woman said, "Petunia, do you remember your mother's side of the family?"

Petunia stiffened. Could this be about the freaks? The woman continued. "I am - how do I say this - your estranged aunt. My name is Lucy Pevensie." For a moment, Petunia thought that she had said Lily Pevensie. But that was stupid ; who would name their child after an estranged relative?

"Your mother and I began to separate when she was nineteen and I was fourteen." Good, she hadn't been eleven. Lucy continued. "I have two brothers, Peter and Edmund, who also separated from your mother." Petunia started. Peter, Edmund, and Lucy. Her full name was Petunia Edith Lucille. Evidently, people did name children after their estranged relatives. Maybe that would explain why Lily had had the name 'Lily Cora Caspienne'.

"After the war ended, Susan - your mother - distanced herself from the rest of the family. We separated even more after our parents were killed in a train wreck. Eventually, I suppose, we could have grown closer, but we must have been too proud to make amends." Petunia realised that this must have been why her mother had tried so hard to reconcile her and Lily - she had not wanted history to repeat itself with her daughters. Lucy smiled at Petunia, and Petunia was reminded of a radiant Lily in her wedding pictures.

"You look much like your mother did, especially when you were both girls. I've seen pictures of you, and of Lily." Petunia remembered her mother's pictures as a child. Sure, they had been few and far between, but her mother had been a beauty.

"Do you remember your mother's reaction when you found out Lily was a witch?" Petunia was not surprised Lucy knew. She seemed the kind of person who knew everything. Petunia tried to remember her what her mother's reaction had been. She had not been surprised or shocked as the rest of the family had been. Her eyes shone as they saw the letter, sparkled when she heard of the centaurs, had filled with curiosity at the news of the Whomping Willow, danced with mirth at the sight of her father's shock when he picked up a Nose-Biting Teacup, and, strangely, had glittered with unshed tears as she had watched Lily dance with plants animated by magic, as if remembering a time gone by. "She - she loved it all." Petunia got out. "I thought so," said Lucy, as if to herself. "Well, I must be going now," she said as she got up and turned towards the door.

"Can't you stay longer?" Petunia heard herself ask. Lucy turned from the door, changing as she did so. Instead of a middle-aged woman, stood a young girl with long, golden hair and a young face, wearing royal robes and a golden crown.

"I can't," said Lucy. "Peter, Edmund, and I were all killed in the same train accident as our parents. Your mother was left behind, and joined us when she was ready to go. You will see me again, after you pass on, and if you become a better person. Goodbye, Petunia."

Petunia watched as if spellbound as Lucy vanished in a flash of golden light. Vernon came in and found her staring at the place where Lucy had been. She might have dismissed it all, but for one thing. When she went to the cemetery at Spinner's End to visit the grave of her parents, she was inexplicably drawn to three graves under a willow tree at the corner of the graveyard. The willow seemed to draw away from the graves as she approached. The grave on the left said Peter Pevensie, and the grave on the right said Edmund Pevensie, but the center grave was what caught Petunia's attention. It said Lucy Pevensie, and gave dates of birth and death, but the stone seemed too empty, as if there was something missing. Petunia bent down and touched the grave. She said quietly, her voice muffled by the wind, "Aunt Lucy, it's me, Petunia. I wanted to tell you that I've decided to try and become a better person. I want to treat the world - magic or not - as my mother did, and you must have. I - " Petunia gasped. Words were slowly filling in under the name 'Lucy Pevensie' on the tombstone. In golden letters, they read, 'Lucy the Valiant, Queen of Narnia."