Chapter 1

"I didn't want to kiss him goodbye, that was the problem. I just wanted to kiss him good night" saying these painful realizations to my best friend, Ryan, as I felt the tears streaming down my face on our way home. "Em, you'll be fine. I know it's hard, but I know you both will make it work. Knowing you and David, you're both strong. You'd get through it." He said reassuringly with his soft comforting voice as he handed me his hanky. I dry my tears and look at him as he drives his car. That was the thing about Ryan, he may seem like a bad boy who always gets what he wants, but he has this soft side that not everyone sees. I guess it's his way of protecting himself. I know a lot of people who's never seen this side of him despite knowing him for several years. But knowing Ryan practically my whole life, I was able to see this side of him. This side where you'd see his flaws, his weaknesses, his admirations. The side where his deepest secrets lie vulnerable. "Earth to Em!! Helloooooo? Are you there?" Ryan puts the car to a stop and begins to worry. "Ohh, uhm. yeah. I'm here. I'm fine." I replied. "Ohh okay, there you go. I was starting to get worried, cause you've been staring blankly at me for the whole twenty minutes" I look around before answering him, "Don't worry, i'm good. Uhm, Rye, can we grab something to eat? I told my folks we'd eat before heading home" He nodded we both remained silent for the next 15 minutes.

"Here you go, milady. One subway sandwich and one can of beer" Ryan said in a cheerful tone, another attempt to change the mood. "Thank you, dear old sir" I answered with a smile. I could see how much effort he has put in order to distract me with my disturbing thoughts the whole day. He smiled back and we both ate our sandwiches quietly. After our meal, we headed back to his car, our beers in our hands. At times like this, we only have one place in mind - the Ridge.

We both got out of the car and lied down on his cars hood, inhaling the fresh air and looking at the wonderful view. The Ridge was the place we went to everytime we had situations where in we didn't think we were capable of handling, situations when we felt suffocated and we just needed air, or times when we just really felt like going here. This was one of those moments, this was one of those situations. "So, 3 years, huh?" He asks me nervously. "Yup, 3 years." I answer without looking at him. This time, he doesn't say anything. Instead, we just drank of beers silently, both looking onto the night sky, thinking about possibilities of what the future has in store for us.