1

I don't expect anyone to read this, this is just a one shot for Newsies I wrote to help improve my writing. But if you like it, thanks I guess. :)

"Sorry."

Race knew this like the back of his hand. Literally, it was on the back of his hand. It was the most simple word. He says it to everyone, everyone says it to him. It's such a general term, how could he find them. How could he find his soulmate when almost anyone he bumps into repeats it to him. He just hoped that Race would make some snarky remark to his soulmate that could set him aside from the rest.

Race had always been a artist. He would much rather get inspiration for a new doodle by staring out a window rather than listening to the teacher. He would draw characters form his favorite shows, the plants and animals that thrived out the window, and he'd practice his realistic skills, sketching other students that sat around him. He wasn't a creep, he was just desperate for a model.

It was fifth hour, comm arts class. Race had an A+ for a grade and got atleast a 90 on every assignment. Come arts was easy to him, he already knew half the stuff she was teaching, why would he need to pay attention? Races face was buried in his binder, more specifically the binder paper, eyeing each detail of his drawing. He smiled as he looked at his final product. A drawing of his family dog, his head tilted, his tongue out, and that friendly twinkle in his eye.

Teacher - Mr. Higgins, do you know the answer?

Races head shot up like a bullet. All eyes were on him. He took a quick glance at the board. They were learning about punctuation. Since 1,2, and 3 were already filled out. He guessed the next question was number 4.

Race - Question mark.
Teacher - I'm afraid that's not the question to number 5.

Number five. Bullshit. She just wanted to call him out. He rolled his eyes, knowing she wouldn't call on him again. She could be annoying at times, but she was a kind and understanding teacher, he knew she wouldn't humiliate him twice in the same class period. Race gazed around the room, searching for a fresh face to add to his sketchbook. All faces seemed so familiar, half of them already had their places.

Teacher - Thank you Mr. Conlon.

Races gazed shifted to the boy who had had the classes attention a few seconds ago, well, almost all. But he sure had Races attention now. Race didn't know Spot, he knew his name, he know he existed, he knew he was quite popular. A stereotype that would never mix with the loner Race was. Spot had quite short brown hair, big brown eyes. His face held a vision of freckles and it seemed every day he would have a black eye or some new or old bruise on his body. He always wore the same shirt and always kept a beanie, hiding the rest of his hair. Race thought they didn't allow hats in school. But, maybe everyone, not just Race, is just too scared to face Spot Conlon.

News is he doesn't even have a soulmate, or, atleast no ones ever seen his mark

—-

Davey - It slipped right out of his hand and right onto the pavement.
Jack - Kiddin me? Why do I neva get dat lucky!
Davey - Jackie, it happened like 6 years ago, and I had a major headache and sugar high for days!
Jack - Ye, and I haves you. I'm da luckiest man alive!

Race joined his friends at their usual table. A pile of what their school called 'lunch' sitting on his plate. Jack and Daveys eyes flew to him as soon as he sat. Jack and Davey were his only friends at this school. All three had met in gym class while they were in their swimming unit. The three had been placed on opposite teams but were all placed to go against each other along with a few other kids. Davey had been to shy to go up to the teacher and confess that he had never swam before. He defended himself by saying that he felt he would be embarrassed. Davey had gone through with it, and it had only been a few seconds in the water before Jack and Race on opposite sides of Daveys lane heard his screams and rescued the boy. As the three had headed for the locker room that day, Race had heard a small conversation from the other room, followed by complete silence. As Race had entered the room again, he saw both boys sitting next to each other, not able to take their eyes off the others arm. The two were soulmates.The three of them were pretty young, but this was about the age that people started finding their soulmate. Race still had no hope of finding his, with such a simple word. But Jack and Davey kept hope alive in him that that special someone was there for him.