It Begins

I sat beside Maven's bed where he lay as cold and motionless as stone. The Whispers Cal found after months of relentless searching have done everything they can for him, but it took almost too much of his energy. I don't know whether he'll survive, or if it even worked. The things Elara did to his mind seem almost irreversible. The thought of the dead Queen sent cold shivers down my weakened spine. I could still feel her inside my mind, even though it's been several months, like a ghost, a constant reminder of her torment.

I looked at Maven, lying there so peacefully. His raven coloured hair was so unkempt, he had grown messy curls similar to that of his older brother's. The underside of his ice blue eyes that had burned themselves into my memory so vividly were more pronounced than ever, as were his pale cheeks and jaw. These past several months had certainly scratched away the hard surface of the boy King I remembered. He no longer looked like a tyrant King, merely a boy whose mother alienated him and warped him into a monster who was incapable of loving anyone.

Except for me.

The memories crashed over me like an aggressive wave that forced me to hold my chest in an attempt to keep from drowning. I could still feel his blazing warmth, so familiar, as he caressed me in a way even Cal never has. I missed his kind eyes, and his slightly arrogant, lopsided grin that used to infuriate me beyond comprehension. I miss the Maven I fell in love with. The Maven that was my closest friend and future husband.

I hoped to whatever force that controls this world that this works.

I almost couldn't believe the chances when I saw those impossibly long lashes flutter and the hand which was closest to me twitch ever so slightly.

"Maven?" I was afraid to do anything but whisper, because I couldn't shake the feeling that my hopes were about to be crushed.

I tooke a breath.

I clutched my chest tighter.

His eyes opened all the way as he turned to face me. There was a stark contrast between blue and red that made his appearance appear even more vulnerable. He ran a shaking hand through his flyaway locks.

My breath caught in my throat for no real reason.

Then he spoke.

"Mare?" His voice brought conflicting emotions. Part of me wanted to run from this room faster than I ever have before. And yet apart of me wanted to never leave just so I could hopefully hear that voice one more time.

"It's me, Maven" I breathed.

A smile split across his face and completely shifted his appearance.

I was forced to take another breath.

"Where's Tib?" he sounded unsure of himself, as though the words feel foreign on his tongue, or perhaps it's the genuine tone that feels foreign.

"Tib?"

"My brother, Tiberias" it'd been months since I had heard anything but contempt and bitterness in his tone, especially when it came to Cal.

"He just went to get you some water and clean clothes for when you woke up".

He stared at me wide eyed, with so much innocence. I didn't know what to believe, it wouldn't be the first time he had tricked me this way.

"What do you remember?" from the way he looked at me, eyes boring into my very soul, Maven knew exactly what I meant by the question. He didn't answer for a long while, long enough that I almost believed that he wouldn't speak at all. A crease appeared between his dark eyebrows suddenly. He looked pained beyond comprehension as the memories flooded his mind so violently, I could see them crash like waves behind his eyes. Eyes that had suddenly darkened to a deep, stormy blue. He said only one word, and yet that one word holds so much emotion that it left a very audible lump in my throat.