Tell Me Why

PAUL

"Can you believe it?" Ringo said, peeking out from the wings. "There must be hundreds of them,"

"Thousands!" George shouted excitedly, looking up from his guitar.

"Yeah," I added. My stomach was bouncing around as I tuned my bass with shaky fingers. 

Our first American tour. This was exhilarating. And slightly nauseating.

I craned my neck to look out from behind the curtains. The seats were filled with birds.

I sighed. There were too many of them to count. But not one of them was the girl I wanted to see.

John sauntered over coolly, but with an ecstatic glint in his eyes. "What did I tell you boys?" He said. "Where are we going?"

"To the topper most of the popper most!" The three of us returned.

Someone motioned to us, and we ran out on stage. The screams hit us instantly, a huge wall cemented with shrieks. I tried to tune the girls out, and looked to the other lads. A bead of sweat crawled down my forehead, and I quickly wiped it away. "Shall we, boys?" I said. The rest of them nodded. I turned to the audience, and put on a staged smile, which brought out more screams from the audience. 

I thought of her, as Ringo counted us in with the cymbals.

MARGO

I plopped onto my bed with a sigh. "Mother, I'm alright. Everything's alright, don't worry."

"How can I not worry?" My mother demanded. "You're there, all alone, with no man supporting you."

"Mother, Paul will only be gone for a few months, not fifty years. I can take care of myself in the meantime."

"Maybe I should come over, and stay with you while Paul is away."

I let out one more breath. My mother never trusted me. 

"Mum, I'm going to be fine. I'm not a little girl anymore."

"Alright, alright," she finally complied. "But call me if anything."

"Alright, I will," I answered. "Love you, good night.'

I clicked the phone back onto the receiver, and closed my eyes. Being fussed over was very frustrating. 

I opened my eyes, and looked at the framed picture next to the bed. Paul and I sat on a bench, laughing together. The sun shone right between us, lighting our faces but darkening the rest of the picture in a silhouette.

I remembered that day. The boys and I went out to the park, and George snapped this photo while Paul was telling me a joke. 

I smiled softly to myself, then turned around to go to sleep. As I slipped away, I thought of him.