Our Fates Collide

I bounded up my front steps and raced
to unlock the door. I bounded into my
tiny room and slammed my fist on the
red stopwatch sitting on the rickety desk in my room. Nine hours and 39 minutes. Damn it. Too slow.

"Why do you time yourself anyway?" Asked my little sister, Cathy, who had walked into my room undetected. Her full name is Cathrine Alexis Eva Ginny Heergard. But no one can say that. Especially not a five year old girl.

"Because," I explained, "I run to school and back everyday so that I will be big and strong!" I was used to talking to her as though she were a baby, but while she might be shy, she was always curious and probably knew much more than she let on.

"Oh," she replied.

"Although I'm not strong enough yet," I mumbled under my breath.

"Big and strong like Daddy?" She questioned, her freckled face tilted like a puppy's.

I kneeled down so that I was eye level with her. "Just like Daddy," I told her.

My dad was big and strong. He was perfect. He wasn't too tall or too short. And he was funny. Always joking. He was light and easy to be around. Although he could be serious at times. But only when I needed him to be. I loved my father more than anyone else in the world.

"MOM," yelled a voice from down the hall, inturrupting my thoughts. That would be my brother, Jacob. He's sixteen and always grouchy. He has major acne problems, but all the girls love him. He's tall and lean, built like a basketball player. It was perfect because that's what he loved to do. Ever since elementary school, he's been playing basketball. I would never tell him, but he's actually really good.

"What, sweetie?" Another voice floated across our small apartment. That's my mother. My mom is the kindest person I know. It's beyond unfair that she should be constantly stressed. She has to work everyday to support our family even with my father doing small things, still looking for a full time job.

"I'm going to Ky's house," Jacob shouted back.

"Be back by ten, honey," came the reply.

I dropped my backpack on my bed and plopped myself on top of it. Today was exhausting. On top of all my regular school work, I tutored today, I ran around the track, and I helped set up for the school bake sale tomorrow. Also, I had other problems - friend problems. My thought was interrupted by a shout.

"Anybody home?" Came the voice followed by the click of the lock on the door. Dad's back.

"Yes! Me! I am, Daddy!" Cathy shouted back as she ran up to him.