Chapter 1

Humans are horrible creatures, they find a way to hate everything. They are greedy and jealous, especially to others. They want the vampire's immortality, the shifter's beauty, the dragon's flight and most of all the angel's purity.

Zariah POV

First I saw the smoke, then I heard the screaming. Fires were uncommon this time of year but that didn't mean they never happened. I ran to see where it was coming from. I guess being a small teen had it's pros when squeezing through large crowds, I thought.

I was expecting people to come running with buckets of water to put it out like they always do but I saw none. What I did see was a large falcon fly out of the burning building. Then I saw the sign, it read "Shifters Inn". The realization hit me that they were gonna let this building burn.

My attention was turned to the door when a guard came out dragging a woman behind him.

"STOP PLEASE! MY SON IS STILL IN THERE!" she yelled covered in soot. From the look on the guy's face, he didn't give a crap about some shifter's kid.

"Listen that building is going down any minute now and I'm not risking my life for some stupid kid" He hissed. The building gave a loud groan. I guess that guy was right about the whole building thing, I thought.

"Whelp I got nothin to lose" I muttered as I bolted to the inn.

"The hell?" Some guard said before yelling "Hey! Girl stop right there!" But I was already in. Boy am I stupid, I thought as I started coughing. There was smoke everywhere.

"HEY KID!" I yelled, "COME ON OUT IT'S NOT SAFE!". Nothing, no response. I ran into every room and kicked the doors down. The sweat was starting to get in my eyes when I heard crying. Of course, it was coming from the scorching side of the building.

Following the noise, I found a little boy no older than three hiding in a corner with tears streaming down his face. He looked up at me with fear in his eyes. I heard another loud groan and muttered, "Wonderful" to myself. I scooped the kid up in my arms, the poor kid was shaking.

"It's gonna be okay, I promise" I assured and started going out the way I came. Then I heard a loud snap as the building started to collapse. I bolted to the exit, the door wide open practically cheering me on. I was about one foot away from the door when I tripped on a turned over stool.

"AUGH" I yelled as I looked at my foot turned at an odd angle. I did the quickest thing I could think of before the building collapsed on me. I threw the kid out the door.