Chap. 1: Dreamers and Their Dreams.

The rain was coming down hard across the Kingdom of Aaa, and any citizen in their right mind was hidden cozily in their warm homes, paying no mind to the violent storm just beyond their doorways.

Everyone but one individual had taken refuge indoors.

Marshall Lee's black hair whipped in the strong wind, his red eyes glowing in the darkness. He felt soaked to the bone. But fuck, he was actually feeling something.

Marshall ripped off his plain red and black plaid shirt, throwing it to the ground. His pale skin contrasted with the colors of the world around him. The lack of pigment in the air and the dark of the forest made him feel at home. Rain splashed across his nearly bare body as he saw his shirt begin to soak up the water of a puddle it had landed in. He didn't care. Why should he?

Marshall shivered, but not from the cold rain pounding into his body; that rain causing his quick flight through the storm to fluctuate severely, sending him crashing down to the ground.

Marshall rubbed his elbow, wincing slightly as the quick healing process that came to him from being a vampire occurred. The cut on his arm was no sooner a small, pale line than it had been a wound.

This was all Marshall lived for, the thrill of doing things that might bring him near death, but never to it.

After a thousand years, the Vampire King was not sure what the point of eternal life was, beyond living. What could you do with it?

Marshall slowly and effortlessly raised his now soaked body off of the ground, beginning the long, arduous walk back to his cave.

He could tell he'd hurt himself, badly, as he moved. His elbow was still throbbing, and his legs felt as if they'd go out from under him.

This was not a familiar feeling for Marshall, but the pounding feeling was something he enjoyed. He enjoyed knowing that despite his years, he could still pump the adrenaline a human acquires, experience the fear that they feel in some situations. He could feel normal. Marshall loved putting himself at risk, simply to make himself feel /mortal./

To Marshall, mortality was something as precious as life itself. His eternal life had hardened him, made him seem uncaring, and that was what he wanted. Marshall would let no one in, not ever.

Never again.

--

Marshall walked into his cave, the bland, dark interior appealing to him as he was cold. The cold where you're chilled to the bone.

He moved himself to the small, soft couch in the center of the room, collapsing down onto the plush red pillows.

Marshall let his entire body droop, feeling as though he'd sink into the cushions themselves.

That night, Marshall dreamt of sweet things.

--

--

The sound of soft music filled the air around him, a soothing voice danced along over the guitar. The sweet sound moved throughout his ears, and Prince Gumball slowly began to sway with the melodic tune of the individual's strumming. The prince could not see nor visualize the person creating the passionate noise, only hear them.

Gumball was filled with pure elation, a wide smile on his face until the song stopped, and a sob echoed around his ears. The air was contaminated with the sound of goose bump raising cries.

Gumball tried to find the source of the sobs, his pink face turning a dark shade of magenta from exertion.

The screaming cries seemed to grow louder by the second, and Gumball became stricken with fear. He could not lose who had been creating this beautiful noise, the one who had filled his heart with so much glee.