1

Death. Makes you think peaceful and serene. You tend not to think of the broken hearted left behind.

I stared out the window towards my boyfriend, my heart contracting in despair, the despair of not being able to do anything to ease the pain. I heard quiet mutters from behind me and realised it was Charles' parents having a quiet conversation.

Not wanting to seem like I was eavesdropping, I quickly headed for the food table only to have Lucy, Joe's dog, jump on me. I instantly and gently placed her paws back on the ground and gave her a scratch behind the ears. She ran off and I once more approached the food table.  I got to the table just in time to hear Charles complaining.  "Bet Joe's not gonna wanna do my movie anymore." 

"Why?" Thank God for Cary's common sense.

"Why do you think why? the story. its about the living dead." Ok, Charles has a point there.

"His Mothers not a zombie." That's Preston for ya, always logical. 

"But she's dead, shithead." 

I approached the whispering boys and snarkily snapped at Charles "God Charles, way to be blunt." i had to snicker at the way the boy's jumped at the sound of my voice. im sorry but it was hilarious. I could see Cary turn a slight shade of red out of the corner of my eye while Charles went full on red. Sighing, i turned on my heel and made my way out the front door grabbing my coat along the way.  I stepped outside and instantly erupted in goosebumps. Slowly and carefully i made my way over to Joe and wrapped my arms around him from behind resting my chin on his shoulder.  He rested his head against mine and silently the tears started to wind their way down his cheeks. Not knowing what to do, i made my way in front of him and pulled him into a hug only to have him pull me onto his lap. "Why don't we get you inside before you catch a cold?" i spoke gently, trying to not spook him. he shook his head and nestled into my shoulder even more, tightening his grip even further. 

A sputtering noise coming up the street caused Joe to snap his head up and glance at the black and yellow striped car that pulled up to the sidewalk in-front of Joe's house.  Joe reached into his pocket and pulled out his mothers silver locket holding it tightly in his grasp. Alice Dainard's father stepped out of the car dressed better then i have ever seen him dressed. He got out and made his way up the stairs to the front door. He glanced back at me and Joe before smoothing back his hair and making his way into the house. Not even two seconds later and i could hear yelling and shouting coming from inside the house, closely followed by Mr. Dainard being forced out of the door by Joe's dad Jack. Jack forced Mr. Dainard into a police car and with no emotion in his voice told Joe he'd be back soon. The police car peeled out of the driveway and Joe and I's eyes followed it. Joe sighed and snapped the locket shut. I didn't even realise he had opened it. I turned around in his arms to face the house and noticed Cary turning away from the window, his smile twisted into a frown. 

And i don't know why but i wanted to make that frown turn into a smile. And i had a feeling me being in Joe's arms wasn't gonna make him smile.