Chapter One

" Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. "

AMONGST THE ENDLESS LINES of evergreens and pines, a lone figure darted along the forest floor, her bare feet hitting the leafs, and twigs in a small patter. The luminous glow of the moon above cocooned her frame, the restless trees swayed to shadow the landscape that she cantered across. The lovely shimmer of her blood-red hair glistened against the moon's luminous glow, painting her snow-white skin a lighter shade of porcelain.

The dancing trees around her bent to shield her running figure, the shadows of the waltzing leafs caressed her porcelain skin, wishing away the views of the unseen. With a touch of tender love, the forest seemed to protect the redhead with a guided hand, hiding her from the naked eye.

With a heart of rushed emotions, the redhead pushed herself against the shadows, her breath filtering through her teeth to fall transparent against the atmosphere before her rosy lips. The world around her rocked on its axis, the air thickening with the possibilities that plagued the sinful heart of man. She was close to her destination, the sound of snapping jaws, and deepened bellows echoed in the distance.

Running against the lush greenery, the she-wolf distanced herself from her home, only to push herself toward the fathomed death that laid before her. Her mind ran rabid, her whole body numb to the winter chill of the forest. Her father had died only three months ago, his death rocking the world around the pack, and the regal children below him.

Today her brother danced before the jaws of an unnamed foe, his fate hanging on the jaws of the rogue who proclaimed himself righteous. His fate laying upon a thinning string, the blood within his veins pulsing with a distant admiration. Ethan laid in the balance of life and death, his body caught between a snare of temptation, and a fools luck.

With elongated strides, Catherine continued forth, her panted breath dragging across her rosy lips. Her body ached with a numbing sensation, her heart dwindling with a lingering hope. She couldn't contain the worry that ate at her soul, the sound of a thousand screams, and cheers entered her senses.

She was only a few steps away from the meadow that held a web of death, her strides slowed into a dragged stumble of steps. Catherine wasn't supposed to be there, her presence amongst the challenge willed to be bad luck. But what was luck when it came to one's fate?

Slowing Catherine pressed past the protection of the trees, her shaking hands drifting upward to push the untamed strands of red away from her delicate features. The crowd before her shifted with a growing excitement, their hands clapping, and their faces lit with entertainment. It was almost sickening to watch the unfamiliar, and familiar entertain themselves with a lethal game.

Shaking her head, Catherine began to move against the crowd, her heart beating frantically against her chest, bouncing against her ribs in a malevolent beat of ravenous worry. Her elbows began to shift against fleshed, and bone of the people that squeezed around her. The boisterous sound of crushing bone, and animistic whimpering broke behind the curtain of flesh before her.

Ethan's familiar scent drifted against her nose, the solace smell of oak pressed against her frame in an array of childhood memories, and longing. The brisk smell of vanilla soon washed across her skin, digging itself into her nose. The sweetened smell burned her nostrils, causing her whole body to submit to the world that raveled around her.

Breaking through the wall of flesh, the redhead froze against the meadow. Her heart filled with ambition, the world around her balancing itself upright. Ethan was winning. His massive frame hovering above the unnamed foe, pinning him against the blood covered earth. With jaws of unforgettable want, the massive wolf began to server the flesh, and muscle of the black wolf below him.

His jaws began to shake, a boisterous crunch radiating across the atmosphere, a whimper of agony ran across the crowded meadow. "Ethan!" Catherine exclaimed, the single world falling from her plum lips in a sinful descent to the ears of the sand colored wolf.

The words sent a thousand eyes toward the redhead, eyes of both bewilderment, and bellowed loathe. Ethan himself peered upon his sister, the gleam of confusion washing across those navy blue eyes. His attention faltering from the task at hand, to stand upon his sister, and an  inhale of hope that filled her lungs.

His fate was laid within his sisters silver eyes, the gentle look of love eating away at her freckled features. He knew he wouldn't make it, his heart beating with a despondent realization. His grip upon the rogues neck loosened, his eyes glued to the woman that stood feet away. He was lost, his fate planned long before he accepted the challenge.

Catherine couldn't breathe, her throat constricted on itself as she watched the scene before her. The crowd that engulfed her erupted into a rain of excitement, the world around her rocking back on its axis. Standing within the enclosing crowd, she watched with widened eyes as the unfamiliar wolf smashed Ethan into the ground.

Catherine was frozen to the ground, her feet weighed down by bricks. Her heart squeezing with a newfound panic, the surrounding crowd began pressing and shoving her from side to side. Staring into his stormy blue eyes, she watched as his powerful gaze began to dissolve into a foggy hue. She couldn't look away, her eyes were glued to the death of her brother. It was like a train wreck, she couldn't look away.

The rest of this book has been moved to
Alabaster_Vixen