A Little Reminder

"There is an untitled text about the Golden Age," the centaur said to the Four. "It was believed to have been written by an ambassador on his return to his unknown country. It is written:

The first thing that I saw was the High King. Before, I believed that the King was to young for such responsibilities, but no longer. He was tall and golden-haired, the likes of which I have never seen and doubt that I could find anywhere else. His majesty's royal sword was sheathed at his side, his hand resting upon it. His gaze was piercing, the color of the sky to which he was crowned. There were no other words to describe the High King of Narnia but magnificent.

"Have you lived up to that image, my king?" the centaur asked. In that moment, Peter could never had looked more ashamed, of himself and the king he had forgotten how to be. Peter turned away.

The second royal to draw my eye was the Gentle Queen. I know know why her Majesty is called indescribably beautiful. It is not only her outside appearance, but the inner beauty of Queen Susan. Her long black hair is called her most gorgeous feature, but I have no doubt that the Queen Susan would tear her hair from her scalp in a instance if it would help anyone, anyone at all. Though she has no children of her own, the Queen is truly the Mother of Narnia.

Before the centaur could say anything more, Susan shook her head. "Inner beauty," she whispered to herself. "What a fool I was!" The centaur began again.

At this moment, I could not help but stare at Queen Lucy. It is said of her that the god of Narnia himself, a lion named Aslan, could not help but call the Queen his daughter. True joy radiated out from her Majesty like she was the sun itself. One could not be near Queen Lucy without believing every word that dropped from her lips, so assured was the Queen in her belief. There was no question of her loyalty, to the sun and back, of her country. The Valiant Queen would sacrifice everything, such is her devotion to Aslan and Narnia.

"He called me a lioness," Lucy breathed, numbly. "But I forgot what trust really was, didn't I?" The centaur stared at her, before turning to Edmund.

I only glanced at the King Edmund, for at the time, he seemed to pale in comparison to his siblings. But when I was in meetings with his Majesty, I soon learned differently. Before a single word left his mouth, it was considered in a variety of ways. There was no flowery flattery, only quiet conviction. I had the privilege of watching him judge a case, and I watched as a thousand thoughts seemed to swirl in his eyes, and yet also saw deep into the soul. The Just King might have once been a traitor, as the stories I now doubt say, but no more. He will settle for nothing less than true justice.

Edmund said nothing, but his face spoke a thousand words for him. For a moment, there was disbelief. Even in the Golden Age, Edmund hadn't quite been able to realize the depth of the effect he had on people. Perhaps that effect would began again.

I can see now why the Kings and Queens of Narnia are called the Chosen Four. If they wished, not a force in the world could stop them from destroying us all. I have no doubt that--

"The rest of the account is burned," the centaur spoke. "But perhaps it is up to us to finish it." With that, the centaur disappeared into the crowd of soldiers.

"We haven't been ourselves, have we?" Peter finally said. "Not at all."

"And it needs to change, if we are going to succeed." That was Lucy, speaking again with her total belief. "Aslan sent that centaur to us, and we need to follow Him again."

"The arguing needs to stop," Edmund agreed. "This isn't the Golden Age, it's been centuries since then!"

"It's Caspian's turn, now, and it's time to accept that. We're only here to help him along, and maybe find ourselves along the way," Susan added.

"All together, then?" Peter asked. "As the Chosen Four of a time long past?"

The Four nodded, united again, before returning back to the discussions inside.

"Oh, my little ones," whispered the centaur, golden eyes shining in pride. "I knew all you needed was a reminder to go back to being yourselves."

-------------------------

Susan yawned as she picked up the mail.

Letter from Maddy, electric bill, and an unmarked cream envelope.

Curious, Susan broke the golden seal. There was a single piece of folded paper in it. It was heavy and smooth, clearly expensive.

There were three words written in beautiful lettering.

Remember the centaur.

Susan gasped and fell back. Remember the centaur?

"Oh, Aslan," Queen Susan the Gentle whispered.

B