Chapter 1

Charlotte Pov

"Harder" Jayden yelled at me as I kicked my foot into his side, I grunted as I tried my hardest to make an impact. My leg had started to hurt with the constant up, hit, down, up, hit, down on a repetitive loop but with Jayden as my coach he didn't know the meaning of pain. Built like a brick wall and could hold his own weight with one arm for over four hours without braking a sweat, my father thought he would be the best trainer I could have. Jayden was over six foot, skin head and almost thirty, his body held one scar over all 8 of his ab muscles that he had got fighting for our world, the mortal land.

"I don't believe you're trying hard enough, Charlotte." He caught my foot and flipped me onto my back in one swift motion, I hit the floor hard and smiled at the irony of the collapse. I kicked his hand away from my foot and stood back to my feet, I was ready to give up, to complain of hunger or fake sudden death but I saw my father walking to the balcony above. He stopped. Eyes fixated on me, he doesn't hesitate to project his loathing anymore because he knows I'm a failure. A constant reminder of his wife's infidelity. Jayden caught my glance and armed his position, knowing I wouldn't give up while my father stood watching. My foot collided with Jayden time and time again, each hit felt more powerful but caused pain to spread through my thigh. Up, hit, down, up, hit, down I repeated on a loop as I do every training session.My father raised his hand and I stopped kicking turning towards him.

"You could do better but you are dismissed." His words were emotionless and I grit my teeth with anger, trying not to let it show. I heard Jayden's feet shuffle on the mat and he had disappeared, relieved of his duty. I knelt to the ground - balanced on my left knee - I bowed my head to the king.

"Yes sir." His hand dismissed me and I walked in silence towards the pearl white staircase, planted in the center of the royal red - themed room. My hand ran up the marble wall as I turned up the stairs towards my room. 'Could do better' 'you are dismissed.' I mocked a wave of his hand as the comments raced through my head, causing the fury to build up. I slammed my bedroom door shut with as much elegance of an infant trying to feed themselves. My walls were painted a dull grey but the royal blue bedding and carpet added the smallest amount of colour, my dresser pushed against the wall decorated with perfume and the little bit of make up. My ancient wardrobe held my fitness clothes for training, my ball gowns for the weekly parties and short dresses for daily wear. A party was to be thrown tonight, in honor of god knows what, more likely just another excuse for the husbands to go home drunk. I grabbed a red and black ball gown and threw it on my bed, I stripped from my other clothing and showered before changing into it. I had learnt from a young age to tie my own corset and ribbons were easy enough to bow. I pulled viciously at the lace as I tightened my posture.

"How could I possibly do better!" I yelled out in frustration and pounded my fist against the door, my fathers face flashed behind my lids. I hate him! My vision clouded with tears and I slid down the wall resting my head on my knees. Then I felt it. The moments that my body ran cold yet pumped with sweat, the dizziness causing the room to spin - or was it me that was spinning - darkness spread into the room that was lit with a thousand light bulbs and the throbbing in my temples. I scratched at my skin, it bleeding with crimson liquid yet I didn't stop, I continued to scratch as the shadows crowded the room. My skin paled and I caught a glimpse of the red pupil in my eye.

"Help me!" My scream filled the room and hopefully the hallway but my ears could not pick it up, registering as a hazy buzz. The door handle rattled as somebody forced entry. Eventually, the lock flew off and Jayden stared at me and then looked around the room, could he see them?

Kill him.

Take him.

Stab him.