𝐎𝐍𝐄

CHAPTER ONE | GROWING PAINS

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A SUDDEN GASP OF AIR FINALLY LEFT ELENA GILBERT'S LIPS AS SHE REGAINED CONSCIOUSNESS ONCE MORE. Once the doppelganger got to grips with her location, she saw Stefan at the bottom of her bed while Riley sat beside her with a sympathetic look on her face. They were both doing their best to comfort her, they knew she would surely be confused after the accident and more so than ever now that she was in transition.

"Stefan? Riley?" She spoke out hesitantly while her breath hitched in the back of her throat. Her eyes eagerly scanned the pair of them while they feigned sympathy and guilty looks.

"Hey, hey. We're right here." Stefan calmly explained to the hysterical female while he soothingly rubbed her shoulder. "You've been in and out for hours."

"Wh—what happened? Elena stuttered again. Her voice was dry and scratchy from the lack of fluid she had consumed. It almost sounded painful when she spoke.

Riley took a deep breath before speaking and prepared herself for Elena's reaction. "You were in an accident, Elena."

Elena blinked as if the memories of the accident suddenly had come rushing back to her. "Oh my God. Matt. Is he—"

She was cut off by Damon's voice from the corner of the room. He was sitting on the window seat next to Elena's bed. "Alive?" Damon's eyes then dropped to his younger brother. "Ask Stefan. The hero."

Elena turned her worried eyes back to her boyfriend who just nodded in response. "He's fine."

"Thank you. I thought that I—" She paused for a second and finally took it all in but something didn't quite make sense. "How did you—"

"Save you?" Damon bitterly spoke again. "He didn't."

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital after you collapsed, you were badly injured. Meredith Fell didn't tell anyone, but she used Damon's blood to heal you." Riley began to explain as she rubbed her best friend's arm.

Damon nodded in response then carried on from Riley. "And when Rebekah run Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Elena."

She instantly began to panic almost everything she knew had quite literally just fallen apart around her. She never wanted to be a vampire and everybody knew that. "Oh my God. Does— does that mean that I— am I dead?!" Nobody responded and that was all the confirmation she needed. "No, no, no, no! This wasn't suppose to happen!"

"Maybe it doesn't have to. I spoke to Bonnie, she said she's stronger than ever, maybe with Riley's help there might be something that they can do."

"No. The only thing that's going to help is for you to feed and complete the transition." The eldest Salvatore bitterly shook his head in disagreement.