Shadows From Above

Here ya go folks! I have started a sequel to my first Beauty and the Beast fanfic, Down from Below. Thanks to the encouragement of other authors.

This sequel is - hopefully - better than the last story. Gonna steer more toward Scarlett trying to slay the demons of her past, her time kidnapped by Paracelsus, and learning her new life and a lot of Mouse, and more of Mouse as he is maturing... I feel like maybe I forgot him a bit lol. I've added dashes in his words because he talks sort of in third person. But gonna show how that gets better as the story goes on. Hey it's my story lol. Gonna move kinda slow, and get more feeling in the story. So Mouse and Arthur for Thunderhoof (Skippy) and a sequel for all of you other lovely readers. Let the writing begin!

________________________________________________________________________

The glimmering phosphorescence of the lake before them shone on the faces of its watchers. Vincent sat almost at its edge, reading aloud from Les Miserables. A young man sat near him, watching intently, as if picturing every word the soft-spoken lion man read. His light hair hung in his eyes, but didn't seem to bother him as his faraway expression revealed he was not mentally in the cave. Near his feet sat a young woman, her copper hair shimmering in the phosphorescence, eyes set upon the contemplative face of the young man. She stroked the soft fur of a raccoon that lay curled into a tight ball on her lap, whiskered face covered by a fluffy tail. A peaceful scene. One wouldn't be able to tell that only days before, terror had dampened the joy of the underground tunnel. Everyone sort of ignored its occurrence, however. It was as if it had never happened. Vincent read on calmly, his eyes on the words, but his mind on the young couple sitting nearby. They were both young, inexperienced, and had a lot to learn.

They were interrupted as a kind faced woman wearing the clothing of Above came down the tunnel into the cave room. "Hello, everyone."

Vincent closed the book gently and smiled. "Welcome, Catherine, to our starry hideaway." He stood and took her hand and they embraced in a hug.

""Well, thank you Vincent. Father told me you would be down here." She hugged Mouse and knelt to hug Scarlett.

"Hello, my dear. I have brought you some things to wear for the party tonight." Scarlett stiffened at the touch and hug but spoke politely.

"Thank you, Catherine. I really appreciate that." Her face held a distant smile and she absentmindedly hugged the raccoon, who chattered at being woken so abruptly. He curled back up again and tucked his nose in Scarlett's hand.

Mouse looked at Vincent, bewilderment clear on his face. "Party?"

Vincent smiled again. "Not everyone knows yet, Mouse, but Fathers Birthday is today and we are all having a surprise party for him in the Cathedral room in a little while."

Amid the scattered happy exclamations, Scarlett smiled and spoke suddenly. "He has been in such a grumpy mood today. I'm sure he thinks everyone has forgotten."

Ever since her rather tumultuous entry into the world Below, Scarlett and Father had been close. The only person closer to him was Vincent. Father was very protective of Scarlett as he was about all of the Tunnel dwellers under his care. But somehow, he and Scarlett connected in ways not everyone seemed to be able to accomplish. To many, he appeared harsh and difficult. And at first even Scarlett had seemed to think so. But she seemed not to care and spent many hours quietly reading by candlelight in his library.

Catherine laughed. "Well, he will soon be cheered up. I met Winslow on the way here and he has taken all the candles there to be lit and Jaime and Pascal are taking down the food Mary has prepared."